Can a bent propeller be bent back?

Chris_NJ

Cadet
Ok I went to go out on father's day and much to my dismay my prop got bent. Is it worth bending back or should I just look for another? I have a 89 Maxum with a Force 125. <br /><br />Any suggestions on a pitch? I think I would prefer top end.

ztim

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Can a bent propeller be bent back?

It all depends what it is made from. What is it?

grant1973

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would think that would be kind of iffy...?<br />I would think that balance issues might arise?<br /><br />Maybe if prop is steel.....Aluminum tends to get kind of brittle when bent....I guess it would all depend on amount of bending required / amount of damage done.

Scott Anderson

Recruit

A little heat from a propane torch might aid in bending it. But in all likelyhood, you will not be very accurate in restoring the blade track (fore and aft position). Aluminum cast props (anything aluminum cast for that matter) has a serious issue of cracking when manipulated. Usually if a casting survives the bend, it won't survive the repair. At least it never seems to for me!

Baldguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Happened to me. I ended up buying another prop with a different pitch which is what I wanted to do anyway. <br /><br />I took the bent prop to a prop repair shop and for 70 bucks I had a new prop. Used it as a spare...you can always use a spare.

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

Any prop shop can bend it back for you. They have different jigs for different pitch props and then they can balance it.