1988 85 HP Force dead #2 cylinder

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On my 85 HP Force, I changed out the CD unit for cylinders one and two as well as the stator sensor underneath the flywheel due to some problems getting it started. Now it starts right up, however the #2 cylinder is dead and seemingly not getting any spark.<br /><br />I changed the #1 coil to the number two spot and hooked back up, but the #2 still isn't firing. The #2 plug always comes out clean (not steamed though, just wet from gas coating). Head gasket was recently replaced anyway.<br /><br />Compression is good on all cylinders. Last reading according to the mechanic was around 150 on each.<br /><br />I was told that it could be the second CD unit that controls the third cylinder since they "talk" to each other. Is this the case and is there any way to really check? I've already thrown way too much money into this engine and hate to throw another $200 away on the other CD unit if that's not what it is.<br /><br />Any ideas would be helpful. :)

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1988 85 HP Force dead #2 cylinder

Just some updates and additional information.<br /><br />Got a spark tester and spark is strong on #3, however when the engine is started, no spark at all on #2 and very weak spark on #1. However, when cranking over before the engine is running, I'm getting spark on all three (though #2 is a bit weak).<br /><br />I'm wondering if maybe the new CD unit that controls #1 and #2 is actually bad? It is a CDI Electronics unit part number 116 8301. Here's what is odd though. My Seloc manual calls it part #653301. www.seilermarine.com calls for part #116-3301. My mechanic originally ordered the 3301, however it came as a black box, not the blue one, which was the same color as the original. He insists that the 3301 is not the correct part, the 8301 is. He's got the experience, so I believe him, but why would every place advertise the 3301 as the correct CD module?