1974 Chrysler 60 hp

Coupe

Recruit
I am in the process of rebuilding this motor and need to bore it to 0.030" over. I can not find any pistons available in this size for this year motor.<br />I have been told to go and use 3 3/8" oversize pistons from a larger motor. These pistons do not have the two holes in the side but I can put those in. Has anyone had to do this before? A piston manufacturer has this piston available off the shelf. I could get this piston and check all of the critical diminsions. Is it worth my time?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1974 Chrysler 60 hp

That's a twin cylinder 60Hp? Those turned out to be highly prone to meltdown. Not many of those left running. Parts are real hard to find because they only made those for a short time and they weren't very popular. Last production piston that was available was .040 oversize and horrendously priced. Parts from other common models won't help, like gearcases and props. That's a totally different animal. In the long run, you might be better off letting it die. From a collector's point of view, it's an interesting motor. From a practical standpoint, it's about the worst Chrysler to keep alive.<br /><br />The 3-cylinder 60s are good motors.

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Willy, glad you replied to his post. I won't be bidding on any 60hp on ebay anytime soon.

Coupe

Recruit

Thanks for that information. This engine had the lower piston scuffed. Was there any modifications made to this engine to increase water flow if that was the problem? Did the Chrysler engineers have any corrections for this problem? I know this engine does not have that by-pass poppet valve as described on other engines. It would be nice to know why this engine faild, I just can't tell. If over heating is a problem or could it be from a lack of enough oil in the fuel mixture. Would it be smart to run a stronger mixer of oil to gas, something better than 50:1, maybe 40:1?<br />Has anyone ever tried to modify the water intake system, I know it seems like a small hole for the water inlet at the bottom of the leg. These are just some of my thoughts on trying to improve the syste.