Frozen steering, NOT cable, etc.

Eekster

Recruit
1994 Force 120, "dual exhaust" model<br /><br />Can barely move the engine with my shoulder! Cables and steering gear are disconnected.<br /><br />Seems that no lube makes it to the top of the "king pin" joint. I've heated it with a torch and that seems to loosen it for a while.<br /><br />My question is this; if I wanted to disassemble the "king pin" and clean it out how would I get to it? Can't figure out whether to start at the top or bottom! :( Also, are there seals or bushings that may need to be peplaced? I also plan on adding a second zerk fitting to the top.<br /><br />The manual doesn't show anything on this subject, so I'm hoping someone else has done this.<br /><br />Thanks! EEKSTER

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Frozen steering, NOT cable, etc.

Hi Eekster....welcome to iboats forum.<br /><br />If you are referring to the pivot tube for diassembly, then you will need to pull the powerhead and drop the lower unit. It would appear that the pivot tube has been neglected of lube for quite a while. There are upper and lower bushings that can be replace if needed.

Eekster

Recruit

Thanks for the info, Jim! :D <br /><br />Justwondering, after I remove the powerhead and lower unit will it be obvious how to disassemble it further? Like I said, not sure whether to start at the top or bottom to take it apart... :confused:

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Before I started a project like that i would use some brake cleaner in a can and spray the entire area clean and then begin some treatments of penetrating oil or blaster.It may take a while but if you get it moving a little and keep spraying you may get lucky.Charlie

Eekster

Recruit

Thanks Charly!<br /><br />I went that route last season, but it doesn't seem to last. If she sits a few weeks it's all seized up again. I figure if I solve the problem over the winter I can be ready this season. A little too rough out there to be going out much for a while, may as well be a land-captain for a while. I just hope I haven't already worn out my steering cable by horsing it around this long! :)

Eekster

Recruit

What fun! I managed to get it all apart. The steering pin was corroded inside the bushings. After a whole lot of beating it came free. Now if I can get a new pin and bushings I should be in business! A lot of work, but not as bad as I thought it would be.<br /><br />Thanks guys!