pulled the shift pivot screw out of lower unit.. need advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSWHALER

Cadet
In an effort to drain the lower unit oil in my 89 Force 125hp to replace the impeller I pulled the shift pivot screw in error.. :mad: After consulting my (after market) manual I became painfully aware of the huge mistake I made - the informative posts on this site as well as my manual calls for the total disassembly of the lower unit.. I'm hopeful that someone has worked on this same problem on same model & year 89 (or possibly 88) Force 125 and/or can offer their advice & wisdom... Is it possible to remove the water pump and housing & access the pivot from above to correct or is further dismantling required? Thanks in advance for any help!!<br /><br />AO

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: pulled the shift pivot screw out of lower unit.. need advise

The worst problem you're going to have is finding the gasket that goes between the upper and lower cases. You could probably fabricate one yourself.

SSWHALER

Cadet

Thanks for the links & suggestions.. Hoping to tackle the job this weekend - wish me luck...<br /><br />AO

SSWHALER

Cadet

Is there a trick to removing the upper and lower water pump housing? It seems the plate is sticking under the pump area...<br /><br />AO

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I can't speak to Force motors but, on the Chrysler you have to remove the prop shaft bearing housing to get to the lower mount stud which holds the upper and lower cases together. Not too complicated a job to do.

force01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sswhaler,<br />your stainless water plate is stuck because it is stuck to the gasket. you can get your pivot screw back in without disassembling the gear box. if you play with it too much and the yoke falls out then you are in trouble. good luck, bret forceparts@yahoo.com

SSWHALER

Cadet

Thanks for the feedback.. Brett - the pin is already out so I guess I'm passed the point of working it back in without disassembling the lower unit.. You're right about the water plate & gasket sticking - I'm afraid I'll damage or even crack the plate trying to pry it apart.. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting it free?<br /><br />AO

TYLER HUNN

Seaman Apprentice

I have the same problem on a 1990 force l drive 90 hp. I accidently let the pin fall out while we were on the water. I didnt know it was anything but a drain screw. I replaced with just a regular screw that size. I took it out again and realized reverse didnt work. i searched on here and found the problem I think that there is no way i can fiddle with the yolk and pivet thing to get it back. Do i have to take this apart too?

I already have everything disassembled and have messed with it for over an hour and i cant get it to go back.

TYLER HUNN

Seaman Apprentice

Update... I ended up having the whole lower unit rebuilt. 250$ sucked pretty bad. I put a bead of caulk in there now so no way it can ever come out again. Terrible design for these.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Before you go crazy, if you have not moved the linkage, just try re-inserting the pivot pin. Then try shifting into forward and reverse. If it goes into both gears, you're OK if not, then try removing the torpedo shaped top plate. You MAY be able to fish around and get it; you may need to disassemble the lower unit.

ObiwanKenobi

Cadet
Writing this for the benefit of those who may encounter this problem and are searching Google for a solution...

Depending on your motor, you may be in for the most frustrating DIY of your entire life. If the U-shaped yolk that sits in the rod that moves the clutch dog has become unseated, you have to take it apart from the top. That's the easy part. On my 1994 Force 120, the mechanism at the bottom of the shifting rod--the one that the pivot screw goes into--BARELY fits through the space above the area where it eventually sits. If you want to line it up and then drop it straight down, you would have to do some grinding. It took my mechanic literally about five hours to do. Here's how we did it. (The world would also benefit from a description of a better method, so please feel free to decry my method and suggest a better one.)

1. With the oil drained, the shifting rod completely removed, and the yoke sitting in the 90 degree mechanism that "holds" it, string a piece of fishing line so it holds the yoke in place and also lifts the 90 degree thing. (Ideally, you want two fishing lines--one to guide the yolk and another to guide the 90 degree holder, but unless you're General Grievous, you only have two hands, and you need one to insert the pivot screw.)
2. Lower the entire rod assembly in, preferably while wearing a headlamp. Use the fishing line to align the yolk with the notch in the rod that moves the clutch dog below. Make sure the yolk sits there nicely.
3. Using a hammer, tap the top of the shifting rod to slowly put it in place. Be careful to keep it lined up vertically with the pivot screw hole.
3a. Repeat step 3 approximately 9,873 times until you get it right.
4. While looking through the pivot screw hole, you're going to see part of the hole the screw has to be inserted into. When you see that, insert an awl, a nail, or something else. Then use the inserted pointy object to properly align the hole. At this point, some or all of the resistance caused by the awkwardly angled cavity the shift rod assembly has to slip into should go away. If it doesn't, just keep tapping the awl or nail anyway.
5. Once the holes are aligned sufficiently, insert the screw.
6. Go home and apologize to your wife for taking 5 hours to insert a stinking screw.

Again, please suggest a better method. My screw ended up falling out in the water and it's now stuck in gear, so I'm about to go do this all over again because I just KNOW the yolk has slipped out, too, cuz that's how life is. Gonna caulk it in place this time.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This thread is 14 years old and flunks this little rule of ours;

90daysold.PNG

Closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.