99 force 40 cutting out/missing

bejay

Cadet
Hi i have a 99 tracker boat with a 40 horsepower force engine that i am having a problem figuring out whats wrong with it.<br /> It will usually run good for about the first 10 minutes of the day and then it will start losing power and missing it doesnt seem to be fuel related as i have tried pumping the bulb and pushing in on the choke for a second when the problem is occuring with no change in its performance.<br /> once it starts cutting out it will eventually die and will start back up within a few seconds and usually idles fairly decent but when you try to accelerate it acts like one cylinder is coming and going or erraticly missing.<br /> and sometimes the problem will clear up and it will run good for a few minutes except my wot rpm being about 500 rpm lower than normal, i think its an electrical problem any ideas on how i would go about finding out whats wrong, thanks.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 99 force 40 cutting out/missing

Get a manual, and go thru the trouble shooting procedures for the switchbox, coils, etc.<br /><br />Continued operation in this condition is really hard on the engine.

jrlogan11

Seaman

I agree, it sounds like something is getting hot and malfunctioning, hence it works for the first 10 mins and then starts acting funny. However, keep in mind that it could still be a fuel issue, as sometimes pumping the primer bulb isn't effective with fuel problems. I'd start with plugs, wires, coils, power pack, but definitely get a manual like roscoe says and troubleshoot it.

bejay

Cadet

hi i already had a manual and did some of the test on the ignition system but was unable to test the dva voltage as i dont have a dva meter what does dva stand for anyway?<br /> resistance test of the cd coils were within spec, and the diodes in the cd coils check good. resistance of the stator is out of spec it is a little high specs is 500-600 ohms + or - 10% actual resistance is 740 ohms which is over specs but before i bought one and replaced it, I just wanted to ask if a stator can cause the problems im having or is the stator just more or less just used for charging as it is charging and the voltage guage has always read about 14 volts with the engine running.<br /> thanks.

bejay

Cadet

one more question i forgot to ask is the manual shows i can run a resistor or non resistor plug which one do you think i should run, i have always been using resistor plugs as i figured non resistor plugs might cause interference in fish finder.