Chrysler Charging and gas tank question

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Chrysler 45HP Model 45781. My understanding of my model number is 45hp made in 1967 the 8 means it has an alternator and the 1 means it was made in the US. <br />1. I hooked a DVM to my battery when I was running it today. At first batt showed 12.65VDC. After Gettting it started it dropped voltage to 12.35 which I am guessing because it is under load. If my motor has an alternator shouldnt I be seeing a voltage over 13VDC. I ran the motor at medium throttle for about 10 minutes and the charge slowly went up to 12.6 Volts. Is this normal or should I be seeing higher voltage when motor is running.<br /><br />2. I was told that I should keep my gas can full over the winter because water in gas can rust can. I dont understand this logic because I thought gas stayed on top of water and the rust would still be at the bottom. If I am suppose to leave gas can full what do I do with the old gas. I would think I dont want to run it through my chrysler because of messing up my carb.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Chrysler Charging and gas tank question

eurolarva<br /><br />1. The lower voltage after starting was probably due to starting the engine, the battery was partially discharged by the starter motor drain. The slow rise in voltage is due to the low amperage output of outboard motor charging circuits, unlike cars they don't have 100 amp alternators. So it takes a while.<br /><br />2. The problem with a less a than full metal can of gas if condensation, full cans won't generate much if any condensation. My neighbor filled his lawn mower with gas from a partially filled metal can of gas stored outdoors over a winter with many freeze and thaw cycles, his mower looked like a steam engine from all the water in the gas from condensation. <br /><br />Hope this helps.

alcan

Commander

As Slowly states condensation is the problem. Keeping the tanks full is more important with built in tanks. This condensation does how ever rust up portable outboard tanks. Most of the time when you see rust in the bottom of a portable tank, it is there because it fell from the top. The water in the bottom of the tank doesn't cause that much of a problem ( until there becomes enough to get sucked up)do to lack of oxygen. Air is the bad guy here, not so much the water. You can use fuel stabilizer in your full tank. Keep your tanks in a (some what) controled atmosphire. The best idea is to find excuses to use your boat pretty much year round. To be honest with you I don't think there is a way to totaly prevent this rust. I guess use a plastic tank. These have their draw-backs also.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

The plastic tank sounds like a good answer. My chain saw even hates the old gas. Tried running the gas on my outboard and now I am going to have to take the carb back off. Ran great for two days. Still runs great if I can get it to idle.<br /><br />Thanks for the reply on the charging issue Slowly Sinking. I am not going to worry about that issue. Must have been the other posts I read concerning the alternators must have been for bigger motors. Could have sworn I read over 13 volts when motor is running.

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hey eurolarva, I'm going to put one of those little bottles of Sears 2 cycle oil in my tanks this winter. It says it has Stabil in it. Although I don't know how much Stabil one needs for NY or Minn. winters.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I put stabil in my gas in the fall and it dosent seem to do any good. I like the plastic gas can approach. I dont have a problem with the money for the gas it is having to take it to a hazardous waste site. With the plastic tank I can mix one gallon and use it when I fish. I use my outboard maybe at most 20 minutes when I fish. I use the trolling motor all day.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Are you possitive that you do have a charging system on your boat. 1968 sounds a Tad early for a Chyrsler 45 to have a charging system. Look under the flywheel...is there a large circular electronic component with coils?<br /><br />If there is the voltage should jump immediately as the charging system comes to life. At the least it should be a 6 amp charge. This low of an amp charge will still show on a voltmeter.<br /><br />TMD

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hey eurolarva, my book lists yours as a'67. but it doesn't say anything about an alternator with it. The other nos. for that year are; 45701,45711,45721, and 45731. None of them say anything about an alternator either. It does say that 45711 is a magneto ignition.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Well Scotinay and Marine Doctor I think your are both right. I am pretty ignorant concerning ignition circuits. Under the flywheel are two red barrels. One is on port side one is on starboard side. Port side barrel has two brown wires going to barrier block. One is going to magneto purple wire and one going to mag tach. The Chilton manual said that the 8 in my model number (45781) was (standard shaft, electric starter with alternator and magna power ignition. I did not see an alternator under the flywheel. I do not understand why when motor was running the charge on battery went from 12.3 to 12.65vdc while motor was running for 10 minutes. This also happens when I charge my battery at home using a six amp charge. It does not jump to 13 volts it slowly climbs in voltage.

alcan

Commander

Eurolarva<br /> Your motor is a 1967 model. It came from the factory with alt. and C.D ignition. I do not know if your motor was altered by a previous owner. If your motor is stock it should have an alt.,rectifier and circut breaker in the charging circut. The rectifier looks like 3-4 square plates bolted together. Your plug wires should also go to 2 separate ignit coils and you should have 2 sets of points. I am sorry I don't have a repair manual that covers this system. I do have a parts manual though, so I can see the parts this model is supposed to have. I don't know how they called this a C.D.(magna power) ignit. system. My guess is that there must be capasitors in the ignit. coils that are charged by the battery and triggered by the points. The charging system (alt.) then recharges the battery. Most of the other makes (OMC and Merc) used simular type systems during this era. As I am no Chrysler pro or whiz please feel free to enlighten me on this subject.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Thanks for the reply Alcan. The two red cans I mentioned in my previous post must be the coils you mentioned. Funny. I spent 6 years as an electronic technician and I am totally ignorant about ignition, timing, coils and stators. In spite of it all I know my motor is somehow charging my battery. I saw it yesterday when I was driving it around the lake. I guess when it looses its spark I will have to learn how to fix it. Until then dont fix something that isnt broke.