Gear oil and gas ratio on 85hp force outboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

airtrav

Cadet
How do you check the gear oil in a '86 force 85 hp outboard? What is the suggested gas mix ratio? The guy i bought this from ran 40:1, but when i pulled the plugs they had quit a bit of carbon build up on them. It starts and runs great though! Should i change it?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Gear oil and gas ratio on 85hp force outboard?

Hi, Airtrav.<br /><br />On the foot, or gearcase there are two slotted plugs. One above the gearbox and one near the bottom. To check gear oil level open the top one (sometimes labeled "vent"), to drain open both, and to refill, pump outboard gearcase oil into the bottom (drain) hole until it comes out the top. Then replace the top plug and finally the bottom plug.<br /><br />The correct fuel mix for your engine is 50:1.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

airtrav

Cadet

I have to plugs that take a flat head screw driver towards the top of the lower unit. One says "Fill" and one says "Vent". I also have one at the bottom-side of the lower unit behind the propeller, it doesn't have a level, there is also an alanscrew underneath the lower unit. I'm guessing this plug is the drain plug, but what is the one on the bottom-side? I unscrewed the bottom-side screw and oil came out, i haven't tried the alanscrew yet.<br /><br />How do you know when it is full? Is it when it is starts to run out of the "Fill" plug?

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer

BECAREFULL ON WHAT SCREW YOU REMOVE DO NOT REMOVE THE PIVOT PIN THE SCREW THAT YOU HAVE TO REMOVE ONE IS MARK VENT TAKE NOTICE WHAT IT LOOK LIKE THE SAME SCREW IS ON THE BOTTOM LEAVE THE ALLENSCREW ALONE.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

lonewolf5347, one cheap way to find out it swap the power packs and see which cylinders are now firing.

airtrav

Cadet

The one marked vent and the one marked fill are directly side-by-side each other above the propeller.<br /><br />I removed a screw towards the bottom of the propeller housing and oil came out, so i'm guessing that it at least has oil.<br /><br />Do i fill it until oil runs out of the fill screw?

Realgun

Commander

If you don't want to get "SCREWED" do not under any circumstances remove the pilot screw.<br /><br />Four screws in the lower unit all accessed from the starboard side. <br /><br />The two at the top labeled FILL and VENT.<br /><br />The nasty 1 YOU DON'T want to remove is seen near the front of the bullet usually mistaken for a drain screw as you can see it. :D <br /><br />The hidden screw under the bullet near the front uses an allen wrench. This is the drain screw.<br /><br />You really cannot check the level of fluid however you can remove both fill and vent screws and add a little bit if gear lube to the Fill hole and see how much it takes to come out the Vent hole. Any more than a few ounces and you have a leak. Make sure the engine is down and level. <br /><br />Better to just dain the lube and put the Allen screw back in the add about 30oz of gear lube to the Fill hole and wait for it to flow from the vent hole. If the fluid you drain looks milky or caramel in color better get some seals.<br /><br />Good luck I am a newby too. <br /><br />I like my force it was cheap and it works. Just because it has a reputation people think they are all bad. Good I can get it cheap!

Status
Not open for further replies.