Force spark plug fouling

rbyates

Recruit
1999 Force 75 HP. After cruising at between 3000 and 4000 rpm for an hour or so, plugs foul, black and greasy. I have reduced oil ratio to 52:1. Plugs are NGK BUZHW and Champion QL76V. What can I do to eliminate plug fouling so often?

trumpetbucks

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Force spark plug fouling

RB:<br /><br />There are many causes for plugs fouling. Do a search using the link above and put in "plug fouling." You can read the past experiences of many people and figure out which may apply to your motor.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Here I go again. What is your compression on each cylinder? You could be getting poor fuel burning due to low compression. Time to do a thorough decarb on the engine. Its easy to do, and recommended in your manual, but most people don't until their engine is all gunked up inside and the rings are sticking and the ting is about to blow apart.<br /><br />Your intent is REMOVE the existing carbon buildup from the cylinders, heads, and rings, a spray decarb solvent product is needed. Buy at least 2 cans of decarb. Some people use one can per cylinder.<br /><br />Run engine at fast idle, with engine running, slowly spray liberal amount into each carb,<br />spray some more- for a couple minutes, now spray a larger amount into carbs until engine chokes out and stops,<br />remove spark plugs and spray decarb liberally into each cylinder, install the spark plugs, let it soak for 1 to 10 hours. <br />Start the engine and run at medium throttle, or if at the lake, run it at full throttle. It won't hurt to spray some more through the carbs. Run it for atleast 10 minutes to flush the crud out of your engine. Now remove and clean, or replace the spark plugs. <br /><br />If you have not done this before, you will see tons of black gunk coming out the exhaust, carbon, unburnt oil, sludge. This is something you must do to keep that Force on the water.

Fouled Plug

Ensign

Mercury's Power Tune is great stuff for flushing out the crud.

rbyates

Recruit

I listed 2 types of spark plugs because I have tried sets of both with essentially the same result.

rbyates

Recruit

I don't have an owners manual as motor was purchased used. I will try decarb spray and see what happens.

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

I assume the oil ratio went from 50:1 to 52:1. How much oil to 25 gallons? And for the next plugs try L76V. Drop the Q.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I think fouled plugs are a by-product of Force engines.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Could be Hooty. But I've been running my '95 Force 70 since 1997, and have not fouled a plug yet. Don't ask me why, I don't know. I use the gapless plugs, run em till I see the center electrode getting shorter, then change them every 2 years. I've spent a few days where I ran at 1500 rpm or less for hours. But mostly I run at 4000rpm, and decarb waaaay too often (to satify my paranoia.)

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Well roscoe, that's why your Force plugs don't foul, good p.m..<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

rbyates

Recruit

52:1 is 61.5 oz oil to 25 gal gas. 50:1 is 64 oz. Someone recommended dropping the "Q" on Champion spark plugs. What is that, the resistor type??