89' Force overheat issue

dogboy8

Seaman Apprentice
I sucked up a bunch of mud, lost circulation, and overheated. I've pulled the pump, and though it looks bad, it should have been pushing some water. What would be a safe way to to try and flush the system out before I put the new pump in??? Thanks a million Greg

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: 89' Force overheat issue

Hi, Greg.<br />You stated, "I've pulled the pump, and though it looks bad, it should have been pushing some water. What would be a safe way to to try and flush the system out before I put the new pump in???".<br />It looks bad? Pieces missing? If so, they are in your motor no doubt. Pull the thermostat and while the lower unit is off, run a garden hose to rinse the pickup tbe and lower cooling circuit out. The upper end goes thru the exaust, so you would need to try to replace the tstat housing, and connect the hose to the pickup tube, to blow it thru the manifold.<br />Replace tstat with a new one.

dogboy8

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply, The pump does not appear to have lost any pieces, however there was a chunk of rubber between the pump housing and water tube. I was just a little concerned about putting pressure on the system without the the motor running since the exaust and water are comingled on this motor.<br />Thanks Greg

dogboy8

Seaman Apprentice

I just back flushed from the thermostat, and got one more chunk of rubber out. It is part of an impeller, but the scary part is that it did not come from the one I just took out???? Last waterpump was put in by someone else (just a routine change), and if I remember corectly, I got the used parts back and there were no vanes missing. I guess between these peices and the mud it just got plugged. Thanks a million everybody