89' force 125 compression/overheat ?

dogboy8

Seaman Apprentice
I really got this motor hot (waterpump failed + overheat alarm, motor died I got towed in) and today I checked the compression . From top to bottom I got 125,125,125,120 measured cold. I don't trust the values completely, because I did a check with a different gauge (a press on type rather than a screw in), and got #s in the 140's &150's but the gauge would not hold the reading long enough to record it accuratly. Should I pull the head, check the cylinder bores, and put on a fresh gasket (I sure would hate to break one of these bolts off) or just replace the waterpump and forget it??? It did start after the overheat, but I shut it down after seeing no water from the tell tale. Thanks a million, Greg

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 89' force 125 compression/overheat ?

The compression numbers in the 140's and 150's are near normal according to the manual, I suggest you replace the pump and give it a try.

AlanPaul1

Cadet

That is a normal reading on the compression. I would change the waterpump. Put your hand on top of the head and make sure that your head is staying cool, when the motor is running. Another thing to check when you pull your waterpump is to make sure that the impeller did not come apart. Those pieces can go up the water tube and into the powerhead and cause a lot more problems. So check to make sure that the water tube and pump housing is clear from rubber.

AlanPaul1

Cadet

That is a normal reading on the compression. I would change the waterpump. Put your hand on top of the head and make sure that your head is staying cool, when the motor is running. Another thing to check when you pull your waterpump is to make sure that the impeller did not come apart. Those pieces can go up the water tube and into the powerhead and cause a lot more problems. So check to make sure that the water tube and pump housing is clear from rubber.