HELP! chrysler 35hp shifting adjustment

ksab99

Cadet
I have a 35 hp chrysler # 357h8m and I am having trouble adjusting the shifting linkage after changing the water pump, I can get reverse and neutral or forward and neutral but not both. Is there a trick to this? I have also changed the shifting cable.

johndoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: HELP! chrysler 35hp shifting adjustment

ksab99,<br />I have a 1966 35 Hp Chrysler. Sounds the same as yours... After pulling the lower unit to check the water pump, I too had problems adjusting the linkage... Messed with it for days, and tried different things... It works OK for now, but still doesn't seem quite right... I can get reverse, but its a hard hit, and you can hear the gears... forward seems OK, but neutral is hard to find... If I ever figure it out, I will let you know... The manual doesn't give very much detail... I just kept trying and testing in the driveway before going out in the real water...

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Shift adj quote; When installig Shift rod (1 figure<br />c4-18)upper end of shift rod must point to rear<br />starboard so angle A From housing centerline is<br />approximately 28 degrees;and bend of rod must clear pump housing by 1/16 inch. when shifted to lower most(forward detent) position.After lower unit is installed adjust shift linkage coupling<br />use shift lever to move the linkage through forward neutral and reverse detent positions<br />and mark the itermeadiate shift link where it<br />emerges from the motor leg at forward neutral reverse if they are not equally spaced (caused by interference in linkage)adjust by means of the<br />turnbuckle connector until interference is removed.I assume then you will need to adjust the cable so it is correct.<br /> A manual would sure help, you may be able to<br />find one at the library.This info came from an old<br />"abos" manual(covers many older motors) bought it <br /> off the net for about 15 dollars.<br /> Hope this helps.

ksab99

Cadet

I did use a manual to do the water pump change it was a seloc brand chrysler manual but it didn't have very much info on the adjustment. The info that was given should help a great deal.<br /><br />Thanks... :)