60 hp Chrysler force surging

greggrant

Cadet
Force 60 hp (1985)<br /><br />Okay here's the problem, the engine will start and run though it stalls if left to idle. The engine needs to be given alot of gas in order to keep it running while out of gear.Once it is in gear and moving the engine will surge fast and act like it wants to plane then acts like it is going into a stall then revs fast again. This fast to slow surging runs at about 2 second intervals. At first I couldn't get it to run at all without pumping the prime bulb while it was running. I replaced the fuel line and prime bulb and it helped but now I got this surging situation . Any Suggestions?<br /><br />GGrantTx

turtle1173

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 60 hp Chrysler force surging

Hi,<br /><br /> Definitely sounds like the fuel pump needs to be replaced. Simple and inexpensive ;) That's a great combination!<br /><br />Shane

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Turtle is right on. These two stage diaphram fuel pumps need frequent attention due to alcohol "enhanced" fuels. The beauty of it is, the job can be done in less than 30minutes, and cost for the kit is about 15dollars.<br />The manual will show a nice expanded view, and also goes-into a lengthy discussion on how it werks.<br />One other thing to check would be engine compression,as the fuel pump uses engine compression to operate it.

greggrant

Cadet

Thanks,<br /><br />i opened the pump and found a hole in the diaphram and replaced. Now for a new problem. Engin starts and runs pretty good for about 1 to 2 minutes, then stalls. It will restart a couple of time but not keep running. When it first starts it seem to run well. There is compression, there is spark to both cylinders and there is gas line preasure to the carbs. Carb bowl is dry and engine acts like no gas. I have seen the gas pumping out of the line at carb since I replaced the diaphram? Now what?<br /><br />GGrantTx

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Does your engine have a Tillotson carb?

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like your carb float valve is stuck closed. I would pull the carbs and do a complete service and clean with carb solvent, compressed air, and carb kit.

greggrant

Cadet

I am not sure about what kind of carbs I have yet. Plan to pull them this week end to clean and maybe rebuild. Would th floats be likely to stick on 2 carbs at the same time ?

greggrant

Cadet

Latest on my 60hp force. I pulled the bowls off the carbs and sprayed down everything with carb cleaner and put back together. The engine fired and ran smooth for 10 minutes during which time I emptied a can of engine tuner into the carbs and then shut it off overnight. I restarted it the next morning (Saturday) and blew out the tuner and the engine ran again for about 15 minutes fast slow how ever I wanted it. Today (Sunday) I took it out on the lake. First off there was a tremendous improvement from last week:No problems starting; Idled fine; when I opened it up it planed out and was really running smooth, But Then.... The engine started to bog down and i reduced the throttle to keep it from stalling. I put it in neutral and reved the engine and then was able to gun it again but just as it was about to plane it bogged down again. I was frustrated because it was running really smooth and feeling normal at teh very first. I could low power all over the lake without incident. If I tried to accelerate it would work like it is supposed to until I was almost to full RPM then bog down. i tired this about a dozen times over the corse of about 45 minutes. When i replaced the diaphram in the fuel pump i didn't replae the valve, could that affect this ? I am also dripping fuel from one of my bowls and ned to replace the gaskets there. Any more help would be appreciated. This thing is almost there. It seems like mechanically everything is trying to do what it is supposed to but something out of the ordinary is happening here to through a wrench into the works.<br /><br />Greg

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What about your gas tank. Is it an old metal one. Could corrosion be plugging up the filter. I think you could get a new plastic tank and Chrysler type fitting for about $35.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Not to be critical because I think you are working hard and making progress, but I think your carb cleaning was inadequate. It doesn't sound like you removed the carbs, just the bowls. And spraying them won't clean them. Its not for looks it is for deposits deep in the bowels of the carb orifices. Remove the carbs, completely disassemble them, replace the float valves, visualize the main and idle jet orifices, clean thoroughly with solvent, blow out with compressed air, and re-assemble with all new gaskets and seals. Running some kind of fuel treatment through while the engine runs won't do anything except keep the company you bought it from in $$.<br /><br />That said it still sounds like you have a stuck float in one or more carbs and/or dirt/deposits in the main jet.

greggrant

Cadet

replaced tank along with the engine tune, well vented and all. Rebuild kit for carbs was ordered last Friday with a 4 to 5 day lead time. Trying everything else in the mean time.<br /><br />thanks :rolleyes: