55hp chrysler fuel leak

mirage

Recruit
I have a 1968 55hp chrysler that runs great at high and low speed but leaks a fair amount of fuel after running the engine for a while. I have replaced the fuel lines and checked for leaks around the engine. The leak appears to be coming from the exhaust port. A large sheen appears on the water but the engine compartment does not have fuel present

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 55hp chrysler fuel leak

mirage <br />Are you saying it's leaking because there is a "sheen" in the water when you shut it down(Exhaust) or is there fuel sitting in the engine compartment? Does it run OK?

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

How does your engine run at low speed? Does it sometimes only run on 1 Cylinder?( the upper one)

mirage

Recruit

rick - the leak occurs after the engine has been run for a while and i have shut the engine down. a very large sheen forms in the water and it looks like it is comining from the exhaust port. i cannot see a leak under the engine cover. the engine runs great at high and low speeds and idles fine.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Hi John<br />I had an old Merc. that would do the same thing. Always left a slick on the water when I shut her down, but ran great. I think the older they get, the less efficient they get at burning fuel in the chambers, then when you stop and shut it down, it dumps what's left over out the exhaust. Doesn't take much gas and oil on the water to make a large slick. Heck, you can dump a spoonful and it looks like a gallon. I wouldn't worry about it if it's running OK. If you can't stand it, you might benefit from a Carb rebuild, which would "Tighten" up the Carbs a little with new seals and so forth, but that's up to you. Good Luck,