55 hp chrysler flywheel key

jdman

Seaman
I got my carb and water pump rebuilt, fired it up, she purred like a kitten for about 10 seconds, sputtered and cut off. would not start back, found that the key had sheared off in the flywheel. anybody know what would cause this? anybody know where i can get more keys? it's a funny shaped key, not like most i've seen. thanks for any help guys. jdman

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: 55 hp chrysler flywheel key

Possable causes;<br /><br />The flywheel may have been loose,and sheared as the engine misfired.<br /><br />The lower unit or driveshaft froze-up,stopping the crankshaft rotation instantly. The momemtum of the high-mass flywheel kept it spinning.<br /><br />Just plain weak key or wallered-out keyway.<br /><br />New keys can be found at a marina that services your engine,or most lawnmower repair and equipment rental shops.<br />Check the keyway for knerled ketway walls, bothon the flywheel and the crankshaft.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Crankshaft taper and flywheel bore need to be clean and oil free. If there's any question about proper mating, lap the two (with the key not in place of course), clean thoroughly and torque the flywheel nut. It is very uncommon for a flywheel key to shear and usually by poor fit (taper to bore) or flywheel nut not torqued correctly.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

WildeOne's got the hot ticket. The only thing the key does is align the flywheel with the crankshaft. It's the taper and crankshaft nut that holds everything together

jdman

Seaman

thanks for the advice guys. i think improper torque was my problem. now if i can just find a new key.... thanks, jdman

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Let us know if you find a key source. I'd like to have some extras.

jdman

Seaman

i finally found a key for this motor at a nearby boat junkyard. Got that and a throttle linkage rod for....$20!!!! OUCH!!! and these were USED parts!! think i found out why i got this motor so cheap!! jdman

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

WoW! s out, it's not high. But if this yard is 'u-pullum' , you got rolled.<br />Hope it werks out.