1973 Chrysler 35 hp - charging system ?

sbasalv

Cadet
G'day ! .. my son has just bought a 15 foot runabout with what I think is a 1973 Chrysler 35 hp outboard ... seems to run very well for a veteran ... question is ... does this engine have a charging system .. ie to charge a battery and / or run 12 volt electrics ? would appreciate any advice or help ... regards

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1973 Chrysler 35 hp - charging system ?

G'day Steve...I don't think that year 35hp Chrysler had and alternator...just a Thought

alcan

Commander

Hi SteveS<br /> With respects to Thought101. According to the book, Chrysler did offer a charging system on some models in 1973. If you will kindly post the model# and ser# I will be able to tell you if yours is one of them.

sbasalv

Cadet

Alcan & Though101 ... thanks for your responses ... the Chrysler 35 model number is 350H8L (1970 - 1978) and the serial number is 1342 .... I've also noticed that we can bolt on a starter motor .... just below the flywheel .... SO ... if there is provision for electric start ... MAYBE there is a charging mechanism ???

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Steve, if you dont have electric start now, you will have a magneto ignition [ignition coils mounted under the flywheel]....which leaves no room for a stator to mount under the flywheel...these motors that came with electric start used a battery ignition with the coils mounted to the side of the block and an alternator under the flywheel....

alcan

Commander

Hi Steve<br /> We had a bit of a blow today, so I didn't have any power. Your motor 350H8L is a 1978. Your model did not come with an electric starter or alternator.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Steve you dont need a charging system for electric start.You can start a motor many<br />times on one charge. Just remember to put the<br />battery on charge regularly. We ran electric start with no charging system for years when I<br />was a kid.It went so long between charges we would often forget to charge until it wouldnt crank.Of course we werent starting it 20 times a day out fishing.Just every day use probably 6 to<br />10 times a day.Mostly weekends.<br /> But with a good battery and a motor that starts on demand no problem.

sbasalv

Cadet

Spike, Thought101 & Alcan ... g'day guys ... really appreciate your help ... was really asking if the outboard had a charging system so that we can run radio and lights ... I guess this is not possible from the engine ?

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Steve...you could maybe run some electronics from the battery, but if you can find a similar motor with starter that is past fixin you could always change the electrics...just a Thought

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just a thought Steve, what about a second battery. Mount it up front for easy access to your electronics.