HELP!! Force 125 Flywheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

scubaman67

Seaman Apprentice
Oh Yeah, the sucker is STUCK!!! 1985 force 125 with about 300 total hours on it. Just bought it and have been slowly bringing it back to life. bought manual and flywheel puller. followed instructions using the puller--still stuck. removed crank shaft nut, installed three puller bolts evenly, tightened center bolt, and gave it a few good whacks. nothing. any ideas anyone?

Barefoot

Recruit
Re: HELP!! Force 125 Flywheel

Lonewolf........pull the bottom plug and see if it's water soaked. Is there white milky ssubstance coming out of the lower carb? If so there is a leak in the ex manifold or head gasket. mine was the ex manifold.<br /><br />I concur......an impact works.........also try tapping the flywheel down with a brass mallet to loosen it from the key. PB blaster (NAPA) helps with honery nuts and bolts.

reel addiction

Recruit

remove the crankshaft nut. locate the flywheel<br />key. then hit the flywheel oppiset side of the keyway. this is the way we remove stuck flywheels.<br />good luck

scubaman67

Seaman Apprentice

tried the impact gun on the puller, nope. immobilized flywheel and tried a breaker bar on the puller-- broke puller bolt. ready to get insurance and sink the f****r. did not understand which way to tap the flywheel opposite of the key. Hit it from above, on the other side of the crankshaft bolt in a downward motion? Or is it from the side, opposite the key toward the crankshaft bolt?

scubaman67

Seaman Apprentice

also, how hard should I hit it. manual says not to hit flywheel or "serious damage can result." 6 inch swing, 12 inch swing, how hard is too hard?

joeb

Cadet

hey scubaman, try a small electric inpact gun on the puller... broke bolts with breaker bar. tryed heat ,beet the sh** out of the crankshaft no luck.. get a small electric impact, something that inpacts fast... the big inpact guns didn"t work for me... hope this helps

scubaman67

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks joe, I never thought of that. I actually have a 3/8 impact gun. Just assumed the 1/2 would work better. You said Heat? did you mean heating the flywheel with a torch so the metal expands breaks loose from the crankshaft easier? No harm to the stator doing this?

clanton

Rear Admiral

Did you try hitting the puller center bolt with hammer. Leave nut on crank shaft, flush with end of crankshaft. Did you put the blaster on it?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I think he was saying DON'T use heat. You could, and it would expand the flywheel,and you could put a chunk of dry ice on the shaft...Only problem is, you might as well tear down the entire powerhead,as it will destroy the upper crank seal and bearing.<br />Plenty of rust-buster, and the small impact.<br />Striking the flywheel can dislodge or demagnatise the magnetts ,as well as probable damage to the crank and other stuff.<br />But you gotta do what you gotta do.Don't try to remove it right now..Soak it down,a couple good tries with the impact, go inside and watch the tube..! hopur later,try again. It may take days.<br />But sooner or later with gentle tapping,spraying impacting, it's gonna pop (like music to your ears).

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Scubaman, what you are trying to do is more an art than a science...a keyed morse taper is the best way to attach something to a shaft that HAS to stay on,acceleration, vibration,heat, all help this flywheel gain an INTIMATE attachment to the shaft it is on....many times a shock load is the only thing that will make them give up...this is the method I have found to minimize damage on the force motors.......put your 3 bolt puller on, tighten it as much as you dare, dont want to pull the threads out of the flywheel...most will take 70 foot/pounds before failing[factory force puller] get a big screwdriver and wedge it between the block and the flywheel rim. a good place is aft of the flywheel, directly above the top cylinder, there is a strong ridge of metal there. pry up on the flywheel, carefully....a 1/8" deflection is ALOT half that is good. while holding the flywheel with the screwdriver providing a off center load on the taper, smack the puller bolt a good blow, many come on the first hit, some as may as 3....rotate the flywheel in between impacts, some come off when prying on the keyway, some do the opposite....the hammmer used is important, a 16 oz ball peen will leave you a sore arm and a mushroomed puller bolt, a steady, even on center hit with a 4 pound drilling hammer will give the desired result. the damage spoken of results from driving the crankshaft out of the top bearing the it hangs in and drops it far enough for the rod bearings to bind and fail..

scubaman67

Seaman Apprentice

clanton, 12footer, oddd1, thanks for the replies. got a new puller on the way cause mine's broke. Will try to lube the sucker up. been trying to pull it for about a week now, so I'll keep on with the patience. I'll also get back with you guys with the results. Fingers crossed...

Dominga

Recruit
My motor is in Baja; preparing for a trip to pull the powerhead. What are the thread sizes in the flywheel, for a puller? And the crankshaft threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.