noise in lower unit

joker

Cadet
Lower unit has noise when boat is in gear. The faster you go the faster and louder the noise gets. It is a clank noise. If you turn the prop when motor is off and in neutral it will make the sound then. Took off lower unit and removed prop. The noise occures when you turn the shaft that the prop was on. Can anyone tell me what the noise can be. Sounds like a bearing, but I do not know which one it could be. Motor is a 1980 Chrysler Charger 115.

85Mariner

Cadet
Re: noise in lower unit

IT MIGHT BE THE LOWER UNIT GEARS HITING THE HOUSING OR THE NEEDLE BEARINGS SHREADED<br />WHICH ARE RUNNING THROUGH GEARS THE OVER TIME THERE GOING TO BE WORTH LESS

alcan

Commander

Hi joker<br /> The only way to determine what the noise is to disassemble and look. I know you didn't want to hear that. What ever it is, it's not good. I would suggest you obtain a manual first.

joker

Cadet

Alcan, We did tear down the lower unit with help of manual. You would not believe how easy it was to do with the manual only took an hour. The foward gear has three teeth knocked out of it and the pinon gear will most likely have to be replaced also. All happen from a very stupid mistake. Removed Pivot Screw in lower unit caused the shift yoke to fall and when engine was put in foward gear it put the gear in a bind causing the teeth to break off. Found a dealer in the area that can get parts without any trouble. Also the dealer helped make the manual. So we are very lucky to have someone so close and friendly to help us.