1990 force l-drive shift cable

gmarkham1

Recruit
I am trying to find a new shift cable for my bayliner/ force l-drive combination. I took the old cable out hoping for a partnumber on it, but no luck, all that is on there is '32255 jul1592 u.s. marine' the cable is 14' feet long. I am having one heck of a time finding a replacement for this. I have found a part number on teleflex home page but have not been able to find the same cable anywhere else, there part number is cc213xx(cc21314).<br /><br />if anyone out there has a part number/brand that will replace the old one I would appreciate it!

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1990 force l-drive shift cable

gm, although not an exact replacement, teleflex "33c" series cables will serve as a substitute...

gmarkham1

Recruit

oddd1, <br />Will it work with all the current hardware, no special adapter kits or anything?<br />the 33c appears it will work with the force outboards, but does not look like it will work for the l-drive. This cable is called a reverse gate cable???? any ideas?

Baldguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you can wait, I'll go check my new cable I just installed on my L-drive this season and get back to you tomorrow.<br /><br />When I was trying to replace mine, I went to West Marine and got a Teleflex cross reference number for it. I believe my cable was about 15'; I have a Capri 1750. West Marine was going to order it and it would take a week.<br /><br />Went to a local boat dealer here in Sacramento and got the cable right then and there. Cost $50; ouch. The salesperson said that these cables were next to gold at this point in time and he only had the one.<br /><br />So, I've kept the old cable just in case as it worked but was extrememly stiff.

gmarkham1

Recruit

well i found both a mercury part number for it and the teleflex number.<br />mercury- 820671a14<br />telelflex- cc21314<br />the last two numbers on both of those is the lenghth, they are both 39.95, I ordered a teleflex because they can be here the next day versus next week. However the fitting at engine end, the piece that holds the end of the cable, also broke. Now I have to try to extract what is left of the screw(hopefully without taking everything apart, it is a pretty tight space), the mechanic that i get my parts from charged me 5 bucks for a used one, but i guess I need it, the new cable does no good without it!<br /><br />I would like to know if your part number matches up with mine or not! thanks

Baldguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well unfortunately I couldn't see a part number on mine. So I don't think I'm gonna be much help. Sorry.<br /><br />However, from what I remember, the teleflex number in your post is the cross reference number that I found independently at that which West Marine recommended. $39.95 was the price I think that West Marine wanted.<br /><br />I didn't want to wait a week and wanted to make sure that I got the correct connection ends. So, like I said before, I went to a Bayliner dealer and asked for the specific part, he had one. It was identical in length and connection ends so I was sure it would fit. I paid quite a bit more!!!<br /><br />Interesting how your cable is 14' and mine is 15'. It seems as if I do have quite a bit of "extra" cable loop by the outdrive.<br /><br />The part that broke. Is that the "clip" that goes in the groove of the cable that attaches the cable to the shifter? If it is, I've had problems with that as well that has left me stranded twice. The screw for that clamp has backed out on me. One time, it left me in forward so I was able to get home. Another time it left me in neutral, but was able to get into the water and move the shifter to forward gear and then get home.<br /><br />So now, I check that clamp screw as part of my preflight check before every outing.<br /><br />I think you'll be fine with the teleflex cable. Are you replacing the cable as it is stiff?

gmarkham1

Recruit

The part that broke is the the little '***' that the one end fits over to hold the cable in place, I have also had a problem with that screw backing out, the cable got stiff, and i got frustrated, the cable broke at the control end then broke that part on the lower unit! Well I am off to try fix it. that piece that broke off is goin to be a real pain in the but with out taking off the lower unit and the u-joint!

phet

Recruit

I have problem installing a new cable for my 90 force L drive in lower unit, any one can draw or take picture of the original shifting cable that came with the boat thank...