chrysler timing question...

iRich

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I believe i screwed up the timing on my 45hp chrysler. I thought I was turning the idle speed screw but it seems it was the timing screw. I've never actually gotten to run this boat yet because of other problems I've had to work out. Well this weekend I put it in the river and it wouldn't go past 6-7 mph. After giving it 1/3 throttle the rest of the throttle didn't have any impact at all, engine stayed at same rpm's it seemed. It also started running hot so I shut her down. It was pumping water so I don't think that was the problem. I'm thinking that the timing could cause both of these problems correct? (no power and overheating). The manual says you need a special tool to screw into the spark plug hole to set the timing which I don't have. Can i set it with a regular timing light? It has marks on the flywheel so I'm guessing i can. I'm going to post a picture of the screw i turned tomorrow to see if anyone knows if this is the screw for the timing. Btw, the Clymers for this motor is pretty much worthless. I have it but it is really vague on things. I guess because they try to cove every outboard chrysler ever made in one book. Thank god I have another boat with a johnson on it. Caught about a dozen catfish, 2 rockfish, a bluefish and 1/2 bushel of 7-8" crabs today. I'm still determined to get this chrysler running good though. It has 120 comp. in both cylinders, starts first try everytime cold or hot but runs like s#%$.Thanks,<br /><br />Rich

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: chrysler timing question...

Did you ever get your timing problem fixed? The Seloc manual gives a pretty good procedure for setting the timing without the special tool(which you can't get anymore). I'm doing it on my 55HP. I'm suprised no one has replied to your questions.