Force 50 overheat buzzer

Denis Kansier Sr.

Seaman Apprentice
When I run my Force 50 at WOT, after a few seconds the overheat buzzer goes off;<br /> once I back down to a 'cruising' speed the alarm goes off. At trolling speeds for an hour or two,<br /> no alarms.There is is stream of water out the back of the engine. My first thought is to replace<br /> the impeller.<br />--any other thoughts of what to do to make this a 'complete' fix??

jrbpit1

Cadet
Re: Force 50 overheat buzzer

I'd also do a compression check on all cylinders to rule out a blown head gasket. My Chrysler 75 hp did the same thing as yours and the head gasket was the problem. The good members here helped me troubleshoot. After replacing the theromstat, impeller, and temp. sending unit I broke down and asked for help here. If that is the problem and you replace the head gasket yourself buy all new headbolts and washers. The first time I replaced mine I used the old headbolts and washers and ended up doing the replacement again. Good luck.

Denis Kansier Sr.

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the prompt response, I did a compression check early this season (about 3 hours of engine use ago). I'm pretty sure that it's not the compression based upon the numbers.

50horce_force

Seaman Apprentice

hey man i have the same motor and the same thing happened to me. Look take calin off of motor<br />Sittin on the trailer on the boat ramp start the engine. Look at the head. You should see some water leaking around the seal. I have a head gasket for it brand new still in the package if you would like to purchase it. Replace that then if it still does it have some one stand at shore while you make a run and let them know to look and make sure you have water streaming out. Sometimes when the impeller goes bad it will stream at low rpms and not at high because of force. Change everything not just the rubber impeller. I know what im talkin about i have been ther i hope i could have helped you. I know how it feels to want the right answer quick. Sorry i didnt see it earlier or i would have responsded more quicklier. Take care man e-mail me so we can talk about or motor because i have some questions also I use msn messenger twilson16@hotmail.com

Denis Kansier Sr.

Seaman Apprentice

Here's the rest of the story, I pulled the lower unit and the impeller looked okay, a bit worn but all intact...but I pulled the thermostat out and found that it was fried. The seal was melted and it was extended. After replacing the thermostat, impeller and some other seals in the lower unit, it works fine. I can touch the head after a good run and not get burnt.