Bad Impeller?

iRich

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, OK, I got the motor (chrysler 45hp), running again and it stopped pumping water. I got the lower unit off after rounding off one of the screws, (that loctite really works), and running out to buy a bolt extractor...etc. My question is what should the impeller look like if it was bad/ The reason I'm asking is because it looks fine- is flexible, fits snug, no sign of wear really, and the little pin that turns it is there. I plan to replace it just curious if they usually break up when bad or what. Is there anything else that would cause the motor to stop pumping water? All the passages are clear. Just wondering if there is something else I should check while I have it apart.

G DANE

Commander
Re: Bad Impeller?

Hi IRich<br /><br />You cant see if it is bad. Usually one leaf suddenly breaks off, and takes a couple of others with it. Impeller can be worn,with rounded edges and still pump. If you ran it in barrel i guess water level got too low. when you stopped motor and restarted it wasnt able to catch water.<br /><br />The pump doesnt produce much vacuum.

DD214

Cadet
Re: Bad Impeller?

G-Dane is right. You can't realy see any damage until a blade breaks off, but you can look for some signs of a weak impeller. When you pull the impeller out of the pump housing, does the blades stay slightly bent? If the impeller has the rounded ends, does the outside look flat? An impeller that looks good, and might even pump water at a low RPM, can flex to much at a higher RPM and loose all vacume. I make sure that every year I replace the impeller, sometimes twice if I run the boat a lot.