1990 Force 150HP doesn't start from cold start.

humphriess

Recruit
Every time I try to start my engine from a cold start it just won't fire. It turns over fine because I just replaced the starter last year. I know not to let the starter run for more than 10-15 seconds or it may get damaged. If I spray a little Starter Fluid in the carborators it fires right up. After that, it will start up fine all day long. Let it sit over night, & the problem comes back. I am worried about using too much starter fluid because it can damage the seals in the carborators. Could it be carbon buildup? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FlyBoyMark

Ensign
Re: 1990 Force 150HP doesn't start from cold start.

STOP using the starter fluid!!!!!!!!!! This will trash the engine eventually. Do you know how to choke the engine before you start it? Is the choke even working? Check plugs for proper type, gap and fouling. Do a compression check too then get back to us.

humphriess

Recruit

Thanks for the info! I just didn't know where to start. To my knowledge the choke works fine. I replaced the sparkplugs & checked each cylinder's compression last year but that was then and this is now. One of those could definitely could be the problem.

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

If compression is really low, starting could be hard when cold...check your fuel oil ratio, 16 oz. oil to 6 gal. gas. As a last resort you could have a weak spark.......almost forgot..squeeze the fuel bulb till hard before starting........

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

For two summers I would spray a premix down each carb for the first start of the day so I wouldn't have to change the starter prematurely. I needed the time to think of the cause. This spring I didn't like looking at the little cracks in the gas line before and after the squeeze bulb so I cut off an inch of line each side. They never leaked gas but they did let in air. Don't need premix anymore! Could be your antisyphon valve. Suggest a 1/4 inch hole in the carb faceplate to spray through. :rolleyes: