50 hp force will not move when put into forward or revers

mattshackelford

Recruit
I recently bought a pontoon boat. I was out on the river and the motor stopped working. The motor runs still but when I shift it from neutral to forward, or neurtal to reverse the boat doesn't move. I have a 50 horsepower Force motor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fouled Plug

Ensign
Re: 50 hp force will not move when put into forward or revers

Hopefully it's just a broken shift cable. With the motor off, try shifting into either gear and see if the prop turns by hand. If you have an assistant, you can also check to see if the linkage under the motor hood moves when the shift lever is toggled back and forth.

harrison20002

Petty Officer 1st Class

If fouled plugs advice doesn't work look for a spun prop. Thats about the only two external problems I can think of. Hope this gets you going. Hal

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I would highly suspect the hub in the prop has spun-out.<br />My 89 Bliner was purchased from my father, who bought it from my bro, who bought it new.<br />It was my brother's main complaint with this engine. I keep a spare prop in the bilge just in case, but in the 2 years I've owned her, it hasn't happened..Maybee it was just they way my brother handled her,i dunno. But he spun the hub out dang-niegh every trip.