Carbs leak when primer bulb is squeezed on 88 Force 125

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer
I read this in another post that this shouldn't happen it seems. The engine is a Force 125 HP.<br /><br />It leaks gas from the carbs when I pump the primer bulb, this is how I tell that they are full and I am ready to start. Should this not happen?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Bryan

jwhite

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Carbs leak when primer bulb is squeezed on 88 Force 125

Yes some motors will do that. Mercury and Force usually. As long as the engine has been running good then there shouldn't be any problems.

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer

bry21317.i have a 120 force.i can pump the primer bulb until hard there should be no gas coming from carb.when ball get hard.i think it time to replace the gasket's on the carb.the only time you see gas from the carb. leak is when the motor is tilted up .good luck

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Try this:<br />Get your 1st mate to squeeze the primer,while you take a screwdriver handle and gently thump the bowls on the carb..It should stop.If it does, the needle valve is not seating in the carb, and you proly just fixed it..If it doesn't stop,it's time to buy rebuild kits,and remove the needles and clean,and maybee even replace the seats.<br />Caution: Some of the Tillotsen carbs have rubber-tipped needles,so do not soak in carb cleaner..Just use the spray-type, and let dry..Blow some spray thru the ports and orifices,followed by a shot of air (to verify thet are open).<br /><br />One other note, the carbs WILL leak,if the engine is anything but dead-level. If it is tilted-up at all,or trimmed funky, the floats won't float the needle up,and gas all over the place.

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks everyone,<br />I have ordered the Rebuild kits, I figure it can't hurt. The carbs were last rebuilt about 4 yrs ago. And the gasket on the bottom of the float boal, seemed pretty worn, so I figured I would go ahead and do it all and not worry about them again. Since I am trying to get this boat running in tip top shape. I want to have it running as good as it can, and its about there.<br /><br />Maybe this will give me my few mph that I am missing on top end to!!!!!!!!!!!<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Bryan Cox

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Another tip on the tilotsens, keep the same mixture adjustments. You'll have to remove the mixture screws for proper cleaning of the ports, but screw them in until they just make contact with the seat, while counting the turns. Do not tighten,just bottom-out.<br />That way, you can return them to the exact setting they were at before the rebuild, and the will be so close to perfection, you won't need to re-sync...You surely don't want to have to do that, and if you have a lean carb, you have a future holy piston.

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer

Cleaned and rebuilt carbs completely, and now it doesn't leak when I squeeze the primer bulb to tightness. The needles did have a little bit of trash on them.<br /><br />Thanks guys. Everyone on here is great!<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Bryan Cox