IGNITION SYSTEM ON 105 HP CHRYSLER

IOWA BOATER

Cadet
HELLO ALL. NEW TO THIS BOARD BUT IT LOOKS LIKE YOU ALL KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. HAVE A 1985 CHRYSLER 105 HP 2 STROKE AND NOT GETTING ANY SPARK. HAS AN IGNITON BOX AND DISTRIBUTER WITH POINTS. CHANGED OUT 4 BOXES AND STILL NO SPARK. THE BOXES WERE GIVEN TO US SO NO HARM. NEW TO THE OUTBOARD WORLD SO HERES THE QUESTION. CAN THE IGNITION SYSTEM BE CONVERTED TO STANDARD IGN WITH A BALLAST RESISTOR AND A CONDENSER? WHY IS AN IGNITION BOX NEEDED? WE ARE GETTING NO POWER TO THE COIL FROM THE BOX AND THE BOXES ARE EXPENSIVE AND HARD TO FIND. ANY INPUT WOULD BE APPRECIATED. AND BY THE WAY, WHAT DOES THE CD IN CD IGNITION STAND FOR?

trevorcday

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: IGNITION SYSTEM ON 105 HP CHRYSLER

We have converted several of these motors from CD ignition to a regular battery / points ignition. It is the only practical way to fix these old buggers when the ignition box packs in. you can hook up a car coil with an internal ballast resistor. Also make sure that you hook up a condenser to the points or or it just won't work. Also check the ignition timing once you have it running again.

IOWA BOATER

Cadet

Thanks for the info! Hoping to try standard ign this weekend. Also hoping that it works! Thanks again.

cwd60tx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi, I would appreciate any help or advice......My maganapower pack is bad on my 1972 chyrsler 120 hp the distributor does have points so I want to convert it to a coil system and do away with the powerpack I went ant bought a new internal resistor coil and standard conventional spark plugs and wired in all in but I forgot to install a condenser I assume that this will be why it still wont start .it is getting fuel ect.......so I hope it will start after I go get a condenser...Thanks Chuck

huskerdaninva

Petty Officer 1st Class

Guys, before you go and attempt to convert the CDI system STOP...before you do ANYTHING else, check the points and see if they are not all rusted and crudded up. They might "Look" clean, but take them out clean them, re-gap as required (.014 I think, have to check for sure) and then see if you have spark. If the points are not working properly the other components will not function at all. Don't be so quick to judge the "CD Box/Black Box/Brain Box" as "shot", it may not be so! BTW, CD stands for capcitive discharge. Good luck...

cwd60tx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

WOW! Thank you so much for the info! my conversion worked good! I started it up 2 hours ago !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

imported_rick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I apologize if I'm hijacking this thread but this is really interesting.

With the cost of a new CD as it is, it would be great to know how to do a conversion, even though a new CD is on the way.

I have a 1980 115hp Chrysler and recently replaced the coil and rectifier. The original coil had the positive terminal broken off and the regulator/rectifier test failed. With these replacements, the motor still has no spark. This motor has a single CD/Coil and a breaker-less distributor. I'm getting the feeling that I will eventually end up replacing All the electrical components. It's getting a bit expensive and frustrating to say the least.

Could one (or more) of you describe how to do the conversion, like maybe a step-by-step procedure or before and after wiring diagrams?

It's been a long(years) resto project and it would sure be nice to put it in the water this year.

Thanks,
Rick

wysowski

Recruit

Anyone have a detailed instruction for this procedure? I bought a 1969 Chrysler 70 Hp motor from a guy for $350 (he got me) which ended up having a blown piston in the top cylinder and the CD unit was melted on the outside. Since then, I rebuilt the entire upper half of the motor ($2800) which included a new rectifier and used CD unit. Two years later I was having trouble with the motor running really rough and did everything I could do but had to take it into the marina. Diagnostics at the marina said the CD unit is bad and again replaced it with yet another used one and tuned it up ($500 total). Currently running, but I would love to get off the CD unit and convert it over to the automotive solution. Found a lot of references to the conversion online but no actual instruction, anyone? Please send them to my email (wysowski@rochester.rr.com) thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

It is really quite simple if you already have a points distributor.

Since the engine is a 12 volt engine with no bypass circuit during start, you need a 12 volt coil or a 9 volt coil and ballast resistor. Run blue wire from "I" terminal of the ignition switch to the POS side of the coil. Run NEG side of the coil to the points. That's it!

Note that the spark will be a bit weaker than the CD ignition and surface gap plugs may not fire.

Do not leave ignition on while engine is not running--coil will be energised and eventually drain the battery

CD stands for Capacitor Discharge. Inside the CD box are large capaitors. the points or the electric eye shutter signals a transistor to "Dump" the capacitors into the coil. The advantage is a very quick build of magnetic field and a sudden collapse, resulting in a much hotter spark than the dwell on normal points can deliver.

wysowski

Recruit

Frank, I really appreciate the reply and "yes", I do have a points distrubutor. Thank you so much for the explanation on how to do it. I dont really care to keep buying CD units at $350 and this seems relatively easy to convert over.:)

87blf125

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i had taken on the task of converting the ignition system a few months ago, and it is good to see someone explain how to do it. the problem i ran into is that the motor had surface gap plugs and would not run with a stock car coil as stated by the other guys post, but i was determined to figure out a way and this is what i found... since a stock car coil wasn't enough power to jump the gap i went and borrowed a buddies accell cupercoil " like 50 bucks new"
it ran like a top with surface gap plugs. i would guess that any high performance coil would do the same thing. hope this can help someone.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Oh, yeah! Forgot to mention: If the points do not have a capacitor connected, you will need to add one to keep them from arcing and pitting. Also, you may need to adjust the gap, which will adjust the dwell, for maximum spark. Dwell is the amount of time the points are open versus closed--this will determine the amount of time the magnetic field inside the coil has to build. ---Insufficient magnetic field, weak spark.

Still a dirt simple modification

imported_rick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Below are two wiring diagrams for my motor (1980 115hp).

The first one is the original setup and the second one I modified according to my understanding of what Frank is saying.

My motor has an electric eye instead of points so I left the original blue wire connected to the distributor in the diagram.

Would this be the correct way to do this? If so, do I still need a condenser and what would it be connected to?

Attachments

• Original_Ignition.jpg
    Original_Ignition.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Modified_Ignition.jpg
    Modified_Ignition.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 11

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The electric eye set up probably may not work (I don't think). The blue wire on the distributor powers a light inside the electric eye. This is always to ground through the light. As I understand it, the shutter on the shaft blanks and opens the eye causing it to generate a voltage to a transistor in the CD box. Not sure but I don't think it goes to ground, at least with the capacity you need to fire the coil. Points, on the other hand do go to ground and that is what you need with a regular auto coil.

You need to find a early 70s distributor, or buy a points shaft and rotor (not cheap). Also buy a set of points. They swap right into the distributor. Save the eye and shutter. These are expensive parts.

imported_rick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh well. Thanks for the clarification Frank.

Rick

Fishermen67

Recruit

I have a 1978 Chrysler 105hp outboard motor and it woulnt get any spark what could cause this and what tests could I do to find out it and fix the problem?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

As a newbie, you need to read the forum rules first. Renewing a 2 1/2 year old post (Which was also brought back from 2002) is against the rules. You need to start a new thread of your own. If possible include a couple of photos of the engine---mainly because I am curious.

Then, we can answer you.

BTW: Welcome to Iboats forums