Force 40 bogging

force40

Recruit
I purchashed a 94 model Force 40hp. When I took it out the first time, it bogged down at slow speed, ran fine in the middle, and bogged again at about 50% throttle. After a carb kit and new impeller, and general going over at the outboard mechanic,(compression 128)it runs better, but still boggs at about 50% throttle. After reading all I can find in these posts that may pertain to my problem, I will check for cracked fuel lines, cracked bulb, air leaks, fuel tank venting, etc. My question is, is this compression acceptable for this motor, and my fuel line at the motor is about 3' too long, should I shorten it? Also, mechanic told me with the wear this engine has, he would increase oil to fuel mixture. Good or bad idea? Thanks. Great forum!!!!

rogerwa

Commander
Re: Force 40 bogging

When you say bogging, does that mean running rough, like on one cylinder?? or just not reving up?<br /><br />Does th bulb stay hard and if you pump it, will it improve performance? If so, check all hoses and connections.<br /><br />Put in a fuel pump kit. Its cheap and probably needs it.<br /><br />Was the carb cleaned out, using carb cleaner and compressed air??<br /><br />Are the plugs new? What do the old ones look like?<br /><br />Was timing and linkage checked?<br /><br />Gas.. Is it new or old? Could there be water in the tank? also, check the pickup for debris. Look in the tank the best you can for floating junk (Don't use a match for light :eek: )<br /><br />I'm not an expert, but I would be happy to have those compression numbers. What does the mechanic mean by wear? I wouldn't change the oil because the force runs colder and often will have fouling problems with extended idling, causing plugs to not burn all that oil. I replace my plugs a couple of times a year (50hp Force).

Re: Force 40 bogging

Hello I own a bayliner with a 50hp force.I put new fuel pump,carb kit,and helped alot.Then the boat mech. said try decarb.WOW Could not believe the diff.But after decarb. clean your plugs.Hope this helps.

boatproblems03

Recruit
I have a 94 50 horse force motor,it starts great but when I put it in full throttle she won't get up to full speed. Runs around 10 miles an hour. Can't figure it out

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Please re-read forum rules. You are reviving a thread that is 13 years old and was revived once in 2009 at 7 years.. Please start your own post with your question.