'92 Force 120 torque-needle berrings

dwatt

Recruit
A friend of mine is re-assembling my engine and needs the torque specs for my 1201X92C piston rod needle berrings. Anyone know how I can get them without buying the manual? It would be greatly appreciated, I purchased the boat 2 years ago only to have it sieze up and a $5000 CDN estimate to fix. My friend is doing it for me instead.

kev_79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '92 Force 120 torque-needle berrings

dwatt, I rebuilt a 90hp 90 model force motor a year or so ago, and I think that the torque spec would be the same. The only problem is, the bolt used on the rod bearings is , or was on mine, a 12 pt 1/4 inch bolt. I don't remember if I ever came across a 12 pt socket, but even if I did, I couldn't get it on bolt when it got down snug to torque. I had to use a 12 pt wrench that was open on one end and closed on the other. I bought it at auto zone. I couldn't find anything else that would get on it, and I just turned it as tight as I could turn the little thing with no cheater. I sold the motor to a friend, and it is still running with no probs. I am curious to know if your wrench has had the same prob. If you need them, I will get them for you in a day or so if you don't get them before. Let me know what you come up with. Good Luck.

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: '92 Force 120 torque-needle berrings

dwatt & kev_79,<br />I just recently replaced the bearings in my Evinrude 175 and it too has 12 point hex head screws on the rod caps. I found a 12 point 1/4" drive deep socket at Sears (Craftsman) and I used that with a 1/4" torque wrench to torque the screws. You can also use a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter if you don't have a 1/4" torque wrench. <br />Those screws are under a lot of stress and careful torqueing will help them last.<br />Bill......