Force 90 hp, too cold????

hndiman

Cadet
i have a 1994 that runs 130 degrees at ilde and up to about 2000 rpm, but then as the rpms increase the temp drops to below the gage reading, below 100. I replaced the thermostat, and spring. <br /><br />on this engine does the thermostat also act as a pressure relief? if so what pressure did force run in the water jacket?<br /><br />thanks<br />Ed

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Force 90 hp, too cold????

It may be running with the bypass valve removed. They do cause extensive grief when they freeze shut. And the previous owner may have removed it on the water, and just neglected to replace it. This operation will get you home, but it's not good on the engine.<br />Just guessing here. You won't know for sure, unless you open the bypass valve cover.

hndiman

Cadet

12Footer <br /><br />thanks for the response, i looked for a bypass reference in the manual and could not find 1, can you tell me more?<br /><br /><br />thanks<br /><br />Ed

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer

I HAVE A 1994 120HP. THE WATER PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE IS LOCATED ON THE EXHAUST COVER LOWER LEFT HAND SIDE .

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Well there ya go then. Thanks, Lonewolf :) <br />On the 90, I THINK it is in the same place, but am not sure.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

hndiman... the cooling system is working exactly as it should...thermostat for low rpm, full water flow for higher rpm....

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer

on my force 120hp. it rus at 110 degrees all the time.but i am reading surface temp.on the head

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

The sender is a thermocouple device...A big word for a heat-to-voltage converter. It reads heat and generates a tiny voltage,or voltage resistance (depending on the gauge), relative to the temp...So the answer is yes, it will read a warm head. The alarm senders are different. They act like a relay or switch.<br />Which invites the question, could the sender be reading lower than it should?

hndiman

Cadet

thanks for the info ODDD1, seemed like the thermostat design was dual purpose, temp and pressure bypass. New question, out of the clear blue after idling or running below 1200 for 3 to 5 min plus the engine runs rough for about 30 sec and stalls....any ideas, almost seems like a lean stall now that it runs at 130 degrees instead of 80 degree, since changing the stat, (the roughness increases with temp) is it possible? <br /><br />thanks<br /><br />ed