'87 Force 85 h.p. - any good?

fishmonger

Recruit
I am considering buying a boat with a 1987 85 h.p. Force motor and I have no experience with Force. I have had very good luck with Johnson/ evinrude motors on past boats with good maintenance. Can I expect the same with a Force? Does an 85 H.P. Force have the same power as an 85 h.p. Johnson. Are there any common problems? The boat is much better than anything else in our price range. However, I am nervous about the motor. Please help - This boat will sell fast.

John Wilson

Cadet
Re: '87 Force 85 h.p. - any good?

Welome to the Forum! I have an '87 Force 85HP on a Glastron SSV-151. I have had it since new. Other than adding a tilt/trim and having the lower end fixed (dog gear used for shifting), it has not been in the shop. I have about 250 waterskiing hours on it and it works fine. I've taken very good care of it.<br /><br />It is not a true 85 hp like the OMC. I guess that it is about 65-70 hp by today's standards. In excellent shape, the moter is probably worth $300-500 as is or about $750 for parts if it has pwer tilt/trim. I would factor that into the asking price of the boat. You can always repower the boat if you don't overpay in the first place.
smile.gif
<br /><br />I'm sure others will jump in as well but I'd check the following:<br /><br />1. Compression on all 3 cylinders. Mine still measured 124-126 psi on all 3.<br /><br />2. See that it idles well both cold and warmed up. Also, it should shift very smoothly into forward but probably not as smooth into reverse. Its a Force thing.
rolleyes.gif
<br /><br />In summary, I'd look more at the boat than the motor. Force motors were priced right but they are not in the same league as OMC, Merc or Yamaha.<br /><br />Good luck in your quest and let me know if you have other questions about that motor.<br /><br />John<br /><br />------------------<br />John Wilson<br /><br />Timing is Everything

kev_79

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do all of you prechecks, like john mentioned, and with good maintenance, it should last. Do me a favor though,I would have had a lot of fun with my 90hp 90model force, but my gas tank was dirty. I think that model has an onboard filter and not very good I might add, but you need to back it up with another inline one. Stop up a main jet up going across the lake wide open, and you'll be paddling back with your ski's. Good luck, let us in on what you decide.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

John's advice is just about complete. The boat should be cheaper than anything else compareable due to the Force motor on the transom.<br />I like Force motors,and feel they get somewhat over-bashed. But some bashing is desreved.<br />The only engine-specific problems I am aware of, are the tendancy to warp exaust port plates...Not a biggy,if caught in time, and the RPMs will let you know.<br />Also, these engines run dirty due to old-tech design,so require twice-a-year decarbing,using a spray or additive (I prefre the spray stuff), and new plugs afterward.<br />If you do the decarb treatment twice a year, the carbon will never build-up to the point of port-plugging....At least, it greatly helps.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

John has it in a nutshell....lotta force problems arent the motors fault as much as the care/abuse the owners give them.....

fishmonger

Recruit

Thanks for the responses!! I have a little more info - The boat is an '87 blue fin aluminum bowrider. It is set up for fishing/trolling and the owner claims that the motor will troll all day without incident. They have also used it quite a bit for tubing. He has not used it in two years but did treat the gas in the on-board tank. The motor started easily with muffs and ran smoothly. I asked him about winterization and he said that he fogs the carbs, treats the gas and tops off the lower unit every year to make sure there is no water. He changes the fluid about every other year. I changed lower unit lube at least every year and usually more on my past engines since it is cheap and easy. Still, if it shifts and runs smoothly during a test drive I would not be overly concerned about this - do you agree? <br />The owner claims the boat does about 38 mph with just the driver - this sounds about right when compared to my 1982-18' Blue fin with a Johnson 70 h.p. that would go about 32 under similar conditions.<br />If we buy this boat, we will have the compression checked by our trustworthy mechanic and take a test drive. Should we have the gas drained or can we assume that if it is running good we can work it through?<br />We just sold a boat that was cursed and spent more time in the shop than on the water. This boat is head and shoulders above the rest in the price range and it comes with all the extras we would have to buy (FF, VHF radio, loran, downiggers, full canvas, mooring cover). I realize that these items don't add real value to the boat as we have sold two boats similarly equipped. However, these are valuable to us. He is asking $3,900. Resale value is about $2,500 and my experience is that resale value is always low on old aluminum boats - I have looked at dozens. Finding an aluminum boat in great condition is no small task.<br />Thanks again and would appreciate any more thoughts!

fishmonger

Recruit

Forgot to mention - This boat has neither an engine temp nor an rpm guage. Not sure if it has a temp alarm like my '82 Johnson 70 h.p. Seems like necessary stuff - any idea how expensive to add these?

Fouled Plug

Ensign

If the comression checks out, and the gear oil looks good you're probably doing OK. As far as fuel, I've been told that treated gas is good 'indefinately', but 2 years? I'd probably start over with fresh. A tach should be considered a must-have item. Probably $100 or so. You may have an overheat buzzer in the control box, but if not a temp gauge can be added. I've seen Mercury gauges for $40-$50 that appear to be fairly universal. Get a trusty wrench-bender to help you go over it, and get the best deal possible. Then cross your fingers and hope for the best!

ChalkBoy

Seaman Apprentice

This is a great posting. I have an 87 85hp with a 180 hours. It pushes a 16 ft Galaxie bowrider. I can get it up to 35-40. I think it is a great motor. I believe it is a little "finicky" in some ways. The carbs are very sensitive to fuel mixtures, so try to keep it consistant. This engine likes TLC, but returns the favor. I do think they are under-rated, I have had some very experienced machanics tell me that it is really good motor. Good luck! Post any questions..

fishthebay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 17' proline, with the same 85HP Force, live on the Chesapeake Bay and use the boat every weekend.<br /><br />The motor has been great. The only problems I have had is a starter replacement and also the waterpump (Just maintanence though).<br /><br />Has been a good motor for the past 4 years its been on my boat. My suggestion is to just run the boat and take care of your investment.

rkoenigsma

Cadet

yea a force 85hp will get you around. i think it is about the same as a johnson