Head Gasket question for 1976 55HP Chrysler

turtle1173

Chief Petty Officer
Hi all,<br /><br /> As I look over my engine frequently, I noticed that the two bottom bolts that hold the back cover on are rusted. I'm sorry I don't remember what the "back cover" is called. It's the assembly that the spark plugs screw into. I know that the head gasket is in this area (at least I know that much).<br /><br /> My engine (up until the last 4 months) sat for several years (probably 9 or 10). The carb and points were cleaned and she is running fairly consistent.<br /><br /> Every indication would be (from the rusted screws) that water has somehow leaked around there. Would that be a good assessment? I don't believe the head gasket has ever been changed and I'm a little reluctant to take it off because parts are not exactly easy to come by. If I did take this off, what would I look for? Also might this contribute to the problem in the question I asked in the post below?<br /><br /> Does anyone know of a good parts supplier for Chrysler's? I am familar with outboardparts.com, any others??<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Shane

G DANE

Commander
Re: Head Gasket question for 1976 55HP Chrysler

Hi turtle 1173<br />Its true what you figured, these head bolts has been wet some time. Is any water leaking out now when running ? If there isnt - why care. Try to mesure compression - is it beyond 100 and within 15 psi for all cylinders. Are the spark plugs all light brown when you unscrew them after running at good speed. ( not iddle ) If one or more plug are very clean, maybe you have a headgasket problem. I have a 25Hp where the hose to the peehole fell off. The owner ran it like that for some time, with the water coming out under hood, leaving through drain holes. This caused the two lower bolt heads to rust, but no problem. You can have reasons like that too or who knows. If you see no problem, run it and be happy !!

turtle1173

Chief Petty Officer

There is no water leaking out when it is running. I do not have a compression guage but would probably do well to check it. My plugs are usually wet after I run the engine. I was wondering if maybe water getting into the cylinder or out of the cylinder at one time might have caused a problem that makes that cylinder miss on occassion. What kind of problems will a bad head gasket give?<br /><br />Shane

G DANE

Commander

Hi Again<br /><br />A bad gasket will give 2 kinds of problems. When motor is in the intake phase, it will take a little water in the combustion chamber with the air/gas misture. This will cause bad combustion and cylinder missing beats now and then, in the end almost always. Later on, rust on cylinder and rings and damage to cylinder. When the motor under combustion pressure, air will leak out into cooling water and reduce cooling, which will cause heating and make the leak worse. In other words, if this is the problem, it must be fixed immediately, or you will create a repair much more expensive, maybe even impossible, as chrysler parts can be hard to get, than just changing gasket.