1988 Force 125 - alarm and breaker problems

pwlankford1

Recruit
I have an 88 Force 125 outboard. It will sound the alarm after high speed use and will shut off after the motor is shut off for a while or pour water on the head. It runs ok otherwise. Also, the breaker to the starter will trip when you turn the key on sometimes. Mostly when you push the key in for the choke it will trip everytime. <br /><br />Any suggestions<br /><br />I have: replaced t'stat.<br />also tried to replace pressure valve but broke the head off the bolt so I left it alone. It has good water flow coming out of the ports.<br /><br />Thank you

walkingfish

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1988 Force 125 - alarm and breaker problems

Sorry pwlankford1,<br />I cant give you advice on how to fix your problem
frown.gif
<br /><br />But i've got a 125Hp Force and am interested in your problem.<br /><br />Can any one suggest how to test the alarm i know i have one, but i don't even know if it works, shouldn't it give a tone when you start the boat ('89 Bayliner)<br /><br />I wait with baited breath (sorry hooks are out of action untill i get my boat back, soon!)<br />W'fish

pwlankford1

Recruit

The alarm operates or alarms when the temp sending unit reaches a certain temp which makes the circuit. I am not sure how to test other than heating the temp sending unt and listening.<br /><br /><br />good luck

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

I have the manual. The horn sounds at 212F or 100C. To test actual temp of head use Thermomelts {163F} on the head when running at 1500 rpm. They are like candles and can buy them at a welding shop.<br /><br />------------------

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

As for popping the circuit breaker can you borrow an ignition switch and see if there is any change.<br />When it overheats put a Thermomelt on the head to get an idea of the real temp.<br /><br />------------------

pwlankford1

Recruit

Thank you for your help. I will try it. The circuit breaker usually goes when the choke is pushed in. <br /><br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />P

aricciardi2

Recruit

I am experiencing a very similar thing. I have a Force 125 1987 and when running for a while then shutting down and restarting I won't be able to get anything from the starter - there is no power to the starter. But the next day I can start it up fine. Is this symptomatic of the breaker being tripped. Is it related to overheating or a separate problem? Also, where is this breaker? Can I manually reset it?

cowboy1

Cadet

Cant help with the electrical problem, but for what its worth my buddy has a 1988 125hp force that kept overheating and showing the same symptoms as some of these posts. After changing the thermostat, water pump, impeller etc.,the mechanic finally noticed a hairline crack on the head. He put some JB weld on it and that dam thing is still running like a charm.