Force 120 temp gauge

deppong

Cadet
I heard that a temperature gauge is worth the effort to add it to your boat. I would think that if the horn sounds it maybe too late for the motor. If it is easy enough how do you attach the gauge to the to the motor. I would think a sender would have to be purchased along with the gauge. Store bought gauge directions dont say how it connects. Any suggestions. Thanks!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Force 120 temp gauge

I have been following this post with interest, as I'm wondering the same thing, and have searched all over for info...To no avail.<br />One thing I AM considering, is one of those digital thermometers from Radio Shack with the remote sensor,and a tube of JB-WELD, to attach the sensor to the block.<br />But, before I do that, there is a surplus marine dealer in town who has a BIN full of <br />temp gauges for 12 buks a shot. And I plan on mounting it temporarily,and attaching it directly to the temp sender already in the block.<br />I'll keep a fire extinquisher handy
smile.gif

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Temp gauges are cool. However water pressure<br />gauges are much beter IMHO.<br /><br />Deppong, your correct,when the horn sounds it<br />is usually to late. Alot of them are set to go of at 425 degrees of head metal temp. The problem is that the temp rises so fast at that time that most people don't shut the motor off in time and score the pistons some.<br />Then after it's cooled start it up again<br />and fun it,ouch.<br /><br />I like temp gauges that start at 140 and goto 220 degrees. The sending unit reostate must match the gauge for it to read correct.<br />Just as in a car. They are wired up the same way too.<br /><br />...have fun...corm

deppong

Cadet

Hey corm - how do you connect a water pressure gauge - any ideas

trophyman

Seaman Apprentice

I installed a Temp Gauge on my 96 Trophy and it was faily simple. Needed to Identify the wire from the wiring harness that was the lead for the Temp sending unit and connect accordingly. As far as watching the Guage and listening for the alarm, you need to stop ASAP/immeadiatly when the alarm sounds, otherwise overheating spells disaster. The guage is very nice IF you CAREFULLY monitor your Temp. Usually it is the alarm that gets your attention.

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There is a ss screw on top of your head that you would put the brass elbo into for the hose from the pressure gauge. Most gauges have universal installtion instructions.<br /><br />...have fun...corm

gss036

Commander

I guess it all depends on who you talk to. I have a temp guage on my 1989 200hp Mercury. I look at it at times, but I have had the alarm go off twice on me, once when my better half ran through a kelp bed, quickly shut it down and everything was cleared. The next time I had an impeller go bad and not putting out enough water. So I would go with a guage and a low temp alarm. It seems my alarm goes off at about 160 degrees or so. I can't remeber looking at the guage, I just knew what the alarm sound was and shut it down instantly. Sure save my :)-} a couple of times now.