15HP Force outboard...What year is it???

Trailbum

Seaman
Hi Guys,<br />I'm a car guy who is brand new to this boating thing. I just picked up a second hand Force 15HP outboard to use several weeks each Summer on a fresh water lake.<br /><br /> I have many questions, first is can someone tell me what year the motor is?? The data plate says "US Marine Power" "Model # 152Y9A, serial# 1131"<br /> Can someone recommend a good parts source??<br /> It has a 2-blade prop, should I replace it with a 3-blade?? If so, where would I obtain one??<br /> I would also be interested in picking up a service manual for the beast. Any suggestions??<br /> Is the Force 15HP a decent motor, or did I just make a big mistake????<br /> As I said, I'm completely new at this, but very handy with cars. I'll try anything if I have a decent service manual, I MAY even try anything without a service manual, but I can't guarantee the results.....OK, I'll stop now...<br /> Thanks in advance for your wisdom and advice.<br /> Bill

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: 15HP Force outboard...What year is it???

That's the sprit,trailbum
smile.gif
<br />Your moter is a 1989 first-run (the "A").<br />Parts can usually be found locally at Bayliner,Mercury,Proline type shops.<br />The shop manual you'll need is <br />"Clymer FORCE Ouboard Shop Manual", published by Intertec, Pub#B751-3.<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />Time to change my tagline

Trailbum

Seaman

Thanks 12-Footer,<br />I also have a fuel line question....<br />All fuel lines I have seen in the past, had a connection with 2 attached hoses I believe, with a thumb operated clamp to hold it to the motor. Don't know if I'm explaining it right, but my Dad's old '58 Evinrude and his newer Johnson outboards had this type of fuel line.<br />The Force I just bought (15HP, 1989 vintage) didn't come with a tank or hose, but it has a single quick disconnect type of connector for the fuel line. I've never seen one like this before. It looks similar to the quick disconnect used on pneumatic tools. What is it and what type of tank and hose do I need to make the beast run???? Thanks again.<br /> Bill

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

These quick-disconnect type (look like air chuck), aren't so quick. They are called "Chrysler type" in the boat shops.<br />I changed mine out on both my boats to the <br />"Mercury type", and they are the best...<br />Easy to change-out in heavy seas, allow a more solid connection,and have a wider inside diameter (thus better fuel flow).<br />They don't cost any more either.<br /><br />The Force connector at the engine can be eliminated totally,by running the bare fuel<br />line directly to the fuel pump.<br />Also,consider putting an inline clear fuel filter in a safe place back there. They work good,filtering out far more contaminants than the hard to get to, internal fuel pump screen. You might also keep a pack of spare elements to fit it too,as they do SUCH a good job,they only last about 200gallons.<br />But then, that's Florida gas
smile.gif
<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />the Early bird get's the worm...So, he don't have to stop for bait.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Forgot to answer something,and we can't go back and edit our posts...So,You asked about the quality of the 15HP. They are fine motors. All Force motors are identical to old Chryslers.They run forever with proper care and feeding,but do they ever run DIRTY!<br />This is why they dropped them. The old designs were just too dirty to meet year2000's more persnickity standards for emissions.It was cheaper to drop them then to re-design them.<br />And the prop....Try it with the two blade before trying to buy the 3blade. If it seems to werk ok,stick with it. A three-blade was made for it, but it aint gonna be cheap.Lokk to plunk-out about 130bucks for a new one,50-75 for a used one.Ask Corm (I think) if he has one,and maybe post a "WTB PROP" in the for sale thread for a good used one.<br />Fuel tanks;<br /> All fuel tanks will come without the fittings, so you'll have to buy them seperate in most cases. a 3 gallon plastic one should give you about 4hours cruising,enough for a good day on the water.<br />Also,easier to tote, and not as much bulk in the boat
smile.gif
<br /><br /><br /><br />------------------<br />the Early bird get's the worm...So, he don't have to stop for bait.

Trailbum

Seaman

Hey 12 Footer,<br />Thanks so much for answering my questions. I have ordered the service manual on-line and will look it over thoroughly before going any further. Would like to find a way to fire the motor up at home (in my backyard) and make sure it runs properly, before dragging it all the way up to Maine (from Va), and finding something wrong with it.<br /> Thanks again,<br /> Bill

djunk121

Cadet

I have a gamefisher 15 which I think is the same motor. What do you think of the manual you ordered? - I have found car manuals that cover a lot of models to be of marginal use. <br /><br />I would like to send you a scanned copy of a photo of my engine, so I can verify that I do have a force.<br /><br />My email is djunk121@cs.com - please email me if you are willing to compare engines.

Trailbum

Seaman

Can anyone out there confirm that a 1989(A) Force 15HP and a 1989 (Sears?) Gamefisher 15HP is the same beast???<br /><br />Hey Djunk, Drop me an Email at Trailbum@webtv.net

bryancito

Cadet

hey Trailbum,

any chance you still have the manual for your 1989 force 15 hp?? i just bought one and im looking every where for a manual.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

11year old post??
They sell manuals here.