1997 Force 40 hp

Ron Carlson

Recruit
I have a 1997 Force 40hp ELPT, and it seems to somke more then usual at low RPM or trolling speeds. Any suggestions on what to look for?

Harry

Recruit
Re: 1997 Force 40 hp

I, too, have a 40 hp Force that smokes real bad. It also stalls after it is warmed up and run at slow trolling speeds. If you hear of a remedy, please let me know.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The 2 cylinder force motors are dirty, dirty motors.they smoke alot even when they are set up right. should not stall ever, though.make sure throttle to timing synchronization is set right [throttle roller just touching cam at alignment mark] and idle mix set rich enough so it dont sneeze at idle an thats as good as it gets......if yer using surface gap plugs a gap plug ngk B9HS-10 helps the idle.....

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

To help the smoke problem advance the pickup<br />timing 1or2 degrees not 3. Different brand oils burn cleaner than others. Mercs' premium+ is good or a synthetic. Either way,<br />mix it in a seperate can to get an exact mix<br />ratio. If you mix it in the motor tank you develop a richer mix as the season goes on.<br />Run a can of Merc Engine Cleaner through the<br />motor to clean the carbon out of it. This will make it really smoke for a few minets,<br />so don't get scared this is normal. ODDD1s'<br />plug and sugestions are good also.<br /><br />------------------<br />cubic inches = power<br />power = speed<br />speed = FUN

Chaney101

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is this Spark Plug safe to use all around for general running as well?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

yes.
I would also stress the use of a can of engine cleaner, like Seafoam Deep Creep, decarb the engine.
And switch to a full synthetic oil, it helps the smoke and plug fouling a lot.

Chaney101

Petty Officer 3rd Class

what size tube should I use for this? That is a very cool idea. Can I do this on a 1997 40hp?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I'm assuming that you are replying to the thread on the water telltale.

Yes you can do it, here is a picture of your '97 40 hp.

9.png

Part #20 is a small nylon plug, I think it is 1/4" diameter.
Unscrew the plug, it is on the top of the block, just in front of the thermostat cover. Screw in a brass 90* hose fitting with a 1/8" fitting, available at any hardware store.
Attach a plastic tubing, like what is used for an aquarium.

bowman33

Recruit

I Also Have A 40 Force Motor.. The Serial Number Says It Is A 1997/.. I Saw Your Post On The Tube.. What Aare You Putting This On For???? I No The Excact Plug You Are Talking About . You Said To Put A Nother Fitting On It And Put A Tube? Whats This For ? And What Benifits Does It Do ?.. I Also Can Put A Tube On This Fitting And A Pressure Gauge To See What Temps I Am Running...
Thanks For Your Reply.. Anyone No What Trigger I Need For A 1997 40 Force Engine ? I See Them But They Are For The 1995 Year Engine.. Thanks For All Your Help

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You can connect a tube to the fitting for either a telltale indicator of water flow, or a water pressure gauge.