Force 150 - Timing

vic150

Recruit
Just rebuilt '90 Force 150 ,new pistons, cylinders rebored etc... Everything back together fine no Issues. Trying to set<br />timing , ran into issues.<br /><br />Manual (Force 150 hp Service Manual- Brunswick marine - OB4643) say to set cranking timing to 30degs, WOT at 32degs.<br /><br />Not even close, cranking is retarded almost to TDC mark. This allows good rpms 750 at idle, 32 degs at WOT.<br /><br />Engine runs fine at these settings.<br />Timing adjustment seems fairly centered (not maxed out in or out).<br /><br />Am I missing something? Or is the manual that far off.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Am I missing something or is :confused:

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Force 150 - Timing

ON MY MANUAL WHICH IS SELOC IT STATES MAXIUM IGNITION TIMING IS 32BTDC FOR STATIC AND 30 BTDC FOR DYNAMIC MAX; RMP 5000-5500 IDLE RPM 700-800 IN NETURAL

clanton

Rear Admiral

What the cylmer manual is trying to say is set the timing 2 degrees slow at cranking rpms( with advance fully advanced) because when you start and run the engine 5000 rpms the timing will move app 2 degrees because of voltage increase.

vic150

Recruit

From Idle to WOT the timing moves <br />approx. 20-30 deg (from ~5 deg BTDC to about 32 deg BTDC)<br />I am not sure of the term, is this refered to as advancing?<br /><br />If My timing advances ( I am assuming the term is advances) 30 deg from idle to WOT.<br />How can I set the timing to 30BTDC at cranking???<br /><br />Does cranking mean at idle?? <br /> :confused:

clanton

Rear Admiral

Cranking means turning the engine with starter. When you do the timing at cranking rpms, remove spark plugs wires (or engine will start) connect wires to spark tester, connect timing light to number 1 spark plug wire, set throttle to full throttle, turn engine with starter, using remote starter switch.. This is only to get the timing in the ball park. Final timing check has to be at recommend rpm. If you have it at 32 at 5000 rpms and this is correct specs, it is not necessary to do the cranking timing.

vic150

Recruit

That makes sense.<br />I wasn't setting the throttle to WOT at cranking speed, so it should be less advanced.<br /><br />Great, sounds like I'm Done! :)