1986 force 15 pull start

NJGamefisher

Cadet
I have a 1986 force 15 hp. When i pull the pull start the plastic gear does not rise up to engage the flywheel. The pull start mechanism works fine otherwise. Could it be a lubrication issue on the spindle? The neutral safety is working properly so i cant figure why it wont come up

Nordin

Commander
Is the spring F487424-1 at the spool mounted?
It?s purpose is to make the gear to turn slower then the spool and this makes the gear to rise up against the flywheel.

NJGamefisher

Cadet
The spring is mounted. I see no mechanical problems. If i pull the cord out quickly multiple times it will eventually jump up and engage the flywheel. Having trouble uploading picture (keeps saying size is too big)

tommarvin

Ensign
Im guessing the lubrication is old and hard like you said just like on a starter pinion gear we had same thing.
Clean everything and re grease may help.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Tom please stop.
Your wrong again.
​Just because you owned a Force doesn't make you an expert.

He has a pull starter.
I asked for a pic to see if there was a missing part?

NJGamefisher

Cadet
I looked at it some last night. Still having trouble uploading pictures. All the parts appear to be consistent with the drawings. It appears that when the pinion gear drops down it does not rotate back all the way to the point where the pin in the arbor rests against the end of the diagonal opening in the starter gear. If i put some back pressure on the pinion gear and pull the starter it rises up. I hope this makes sense.

Last edited:

oldrem

Commander
I looked at it some last night. Still having trouble uploading pictures. All the parts appear to be consistent with the drawings. It appears that when the pinion gear drops down it does not rotate back all the way to the point where the pin in the arbor rests against the end of the diagonal opening in the starter gear. If i put some back pressure on the pinion gear and pull the starter it rises up. I hope this makes sense.

If you are using a pc, download Irfanview. Resize your photos to 800x600