Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Questions about tilt/trim install on 1991 Force 90 hp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about tilt/trim install on 1991 Force 90 hp

Hi all,

I recently bought a Bayliner Capri 1800 with manual tilt and I am going to install a used hydraulic tilt/trim unit.

Can someone please post a picture or describe where to connect the red power and black ground leads from the solenoids to the engine? I understand how to connect the green and blue leads. There are already green and blue wires in the harness going from the engine to the dashboard area.

Also, what parts of the manual tilt need to be removed? There is a sliding arm on the starboard side, a sliding arm with lock (for full tilt) on port side. There is a latch in the center to lock motor to the cross bar.

Thanks in advance!
    Barry

"Also, what parts of the manual tilt need to be removed? There is a sliding arm on the starboard side, a sliding arm with lock (for full tilt) on port side. There is a latch in the center to lock motor to the cross bar"
    ​All of that needs to be removed

The T@T does it have the solenoids? you need to find them.
    ​The B/G from the trim motor go into the solenoids. Then the wires from the solenoid harness get attached to the wires to the front of the boat.
    ​Does it have an "up and down" switch in the shifter?

Pics of what you have?

​You'll need 3 posts to add pics.
    Or use a photo sharing site.

Buy American made Cars and Trucks!!!Towing insurance for a boat,a GREAT thing.
    ​Tools to make my life easier: Battery tester, die grinder, temp.gun, compression tester, DVA meter.

In Scenic , Beautiful San Sebastian by the sea Florida

88 Bayliner 21CC 2001 Mercury 225 HP EFI

Comment

I think I found out where to connect the power and ground wires from the solenoids. There are vacant connection screws next to the red and black wires near the bottom of the electrical board on the port side of the motor:
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/z7IJ3NQWwx3mfA5G3
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/jlIFIvcyJUDAVvbr1

There are blue and green wires in the existing wiring harness from the dashboard to the motor to connect to the corresponding wires on the solenoids.

No, I do not have an up/down switch on the shifter. I ordered a generic switch that I will mount near the shifter and connect to blue, green, and power under the dash.

Manual tilt parts:

Latch mechanism in center: https://photos.app.goo.gl/gLuxrmIxHcaDPd313

Slider on starboard side: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xiuTBWAHe8RKHrJx1

Slider with latch on port side. This holds engine at full tilt when latched: https://photos.app.goo.gl/UQWrOBjBMPIlsb8m1

Is there a way to release hydraulic pressure and manually raise or lower the hydraulic tilt/trim?

Thank you!!
      Barry

Comment

No on the location.
        They(relays) go towards the front on the bottom of the cowl.
        There is 2 empty screw holes there.

Relays: e-bay "force outboard relays" a bunch show up.
        These should be used as the power drain is pretty hard on the regular wiring.

The last 2 pics: all those parts need to go.
        They'll get in the way when installing the new stuff.

The last pic.
        That's the tilt bar that the motor rests on when the other stuff is gone.
        ​The hyd pressure as you tilt it down will hold it in place.

The easiest way is to remove the motor from the boat.
        If the motors ever been in salt water??? the job just became about IMPOSSIBLE to do without breaking something.
        Even in fresh water it can be tough.
        ​You'll probably need an acetylene torch and lots of patience.

I might have some of the parts you need.
        I'll look and see.

The T@T switch is a fairly heavy duty one if you don't use the relays.

​Fill out a signature for your posts and include a location.
        You never know, you might be close to someone who can help??

​Tools to make my life easier: Battery tester, die grinder, temp.gun, compression tester, DVA meter.

Comment

Hi Barry welcome aboard. Where are you located? If by chance you are near Rhode Island, I could help. I did mine recently. Not to hard.

Comment

Thanks for the offer Simple Man but I am in Ventura County, California, dodging fires right now. Rhode Island is a great place to boat. I love Block Island.

Thanks for the info Jerry!

Here is a picture of what I bought on Ebay. Relays and transom mount are included, although I don't plan on using the transom engine mount. Mine is fine.
            https://photos.app.goo.gl/jIocI3g6iOaJHGmA2

I still don't totally understand where to connect the red and black wires from the relays but maybe it will become clear when I receive the item. It is in transit right now.

The boat was a freshwater boat since new. I have had it in salt water a few times in the last month. It was flushed and washed down each time and lives in my garage now. Hopefully it will come apart OK. No visible corrosion.

I ordered a generic trim/tilt switch that should hook up OK near the shifter.

Take care,
            Barry

Comment

OK, I found 2 empty screw holes. I assume these are where to mount the 2 solenoids:
              https://photos.app.goo.gl/kUw5vScntYNWkNBr1

Simple Man, if you are able to send a picture of the inside of your engine with the cowl off that would be great! I just need help with the red and black wire connections.

Barry

Comment

Yes that is where the solenoids mount. The Red goes to the battery side of the starter relay and the black goes to ground. I just finished wrapping my boat for the winter. This is a link to the my thread, from when I did mine. http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...winter-project There are some photos in that thread.

Comment

Thanks! This is great. I will figure out from here.

Barry

Comment

The black goes to where the N part of the battery cable hooks(under the starter.
                    ​The circuit breaker, it connects to the side of the cowl about 3" from where the solenoids mount.
                    ​Then the power red wire is picked up from the + side of the solenoid.

Sometime the solenoids go bad when changing or removing the wiring.
                    ​If it goes up but not down or the other way, change the relays.
                    They can be gotten at any auto store.
                    ​But they won't have the mounting tab you can add that if needed?

Comment

Working...
                    X