1977 Chrysler 135 ignition wiring help

bob880

Seaman
Good evening,

So as i stated i have an Chrysler 135 outboard that is giving me some ignition trouble. So, on the back of my ignition switch there are these letters. A M M B C S
My diagram shows that "B" is that battery, C is choke, A isn't listed, one of the M's goes to the TACH terminal, S for starter solenoid, So does the ignition go to the A terminal?

I have hooked up to what i thought was correct and the only thing that works is the auto choke...So i got that going for me.

I was hoping someone would tell me what the hell I have been doing wrong and how to fix my issue.

Secondly, Can someone tell me how I can hot wire this or wire up a push button type ignition? i

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
There isn't no (I) one your key switch? I would assume that the (A) terminal would be auxiliaries. I wire mine as follows, Yellow wire - S terminal (Start) Green wire - C terminal (Choke) Red wire - B terminal (Power) White wire - M terminal (Stop) Blue wire - the other M terminal (Stop)
Purple wire is the Tachometer, Orange wire Overheat buzzer,
Black wire is Ground.
Terminal I at keyswitch is only to use for auxiliaries, to power them when key is in the on position. If you have a VOM meter, check to see if your A terminal is hot with the key off. There are others members in this group that have much better knowledge than I do and will have answers also.

Nordin

Commander
It depends what ignition system you have.

Battery system

B Battery power
S Start
C Choke
M (No use, it make continuity to the other M terminal with key in OFF position)
M (See above)
A or I Ignition

Magneto or Magneto CD ignition

B Battery Power
S Start
C Choke
M Stop
M Stop
A or I (No use for the igniton system, power when key in ON and START position)

For the 135Hp if it has Motorola Mag I battery CD ignition with distributor, A is ignition.
If it has Mag II ignition A is not in use for the ignition system, but you can use it for auxiliaries.

Last edited:

bob880

Seaman
I will try this tonight after work and fill you all in on how it went! Thank you for your help!

bob880

Seaman
So i wired it as stated by kbh121956 in his reply. No go with that. Now if I wanted to test the ignition system on this boat is there a way to hotwire it? Can I wire in some kind of run switch and a push button switch to start? I just need to know where to connect the wires to the switch.

Thank you

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
You can jump the starter solenoid with a heavy wire. Jump from the red wire terminal to the yellow smaller wire terminal. It will crank over. Pull the plugs and ground them and watch for spark. Or you can also turn it over by hand (clockwise) While watching the grounded plugs for spark. Be sure to pull all the plugs and have them grounded so that you do not damage your electronics.

bob880

Seaman
OK here is what I found. I think it is my ignition switch itself. its interment cranking, it engages the starter for a second then wont work again.
I have jumped the positive power to that yellow wire and it wouldn't turn over. If i jump the solenoid the starter will engage. (across the two big terminals)

So i guess it could be two issues. either the ignition switch or the solenoid. i ran new short wires to the ignition switch to test it. it turned over for a split second then wouldn't turn over again.

At this point i'm not too concerned with it starting i am more concerned about the ignition working properly.

Do you have any more tricks or advice, i am willing to try just about anything at this point.

that being said your wiring was spot on lol

bob880

Seaman
So, i figured it out! it was the ground small ground wire that goes to the solenoid, it was broken off. Replace it with new wire and works like a champ!!!!!!

kbh121956 thank you for all your help i am sure that i will need more advice and wisdom as the project goes on!!!!!

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Glad that you have it turning over on it's own. Does it run? Make sure that all the grounds on the motor are clean or it will give you problems. Keep the group posted and have a good night.