Trim tilt motor.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
1978 Chrysler 85 hp. Model 8598HA. The tilt trim hasn't ever worked on this. I have power to it. Removed the unit and found that the circuit board that holds the brushes is broken. My question is what years and horsepower outboards will fit this? I don't think that this one is OEM. No make on the motor itself but a part number of 6216. It is the 3 wire system, green, blue, and ground. Thanks!

tommarvin

Ensign
I don't know.
Sounds like you need a new tilt and trim motor, 3 wire system.
Check ebay and amazon google for a T&T motor that matchs your hydrolic lines , so you don't have to change the lines.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If you say you don't know, then don't add anything or don't respond???

The older Chryslers usually didn't have T@T but it was added later.
The older Prestolite system came in 3 parts.
The electric motor and the cap that's broken.
The reservoir and the hyd. pump in the base.
​Then the tilt system, some have a trim and tilt some just the tilt.

Your should have both trim and tilt.

​Add pics of the electric motor and cap with a ruler next to it.

The commutator or head assy.F17543 is still a good part #.
There is one on e-bay

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Jerryjerry05, thank you for your reply and for all the help and wisdom that you have given me on my outboards. For some reason, I cannot upload pics of the electric motor with the cap today and they are in jpg format? In the past I have been able to upload photos on this page. It is the 3 part system as you described. It also does have the tilt and trim. It looks the same as my newer 1987 Force 85HP system. The cap itself isn't broken but the board that holds the brushes and springs inside the cap are. The armature of the electric motor looks good. I will see if I can locate the "commutator or head assy. F17543 on e-bay as you have suggested. Thanks again.