how to troubleshoot no spark on 85 hp force

lestro

Cadet
I bought a 92 bayliner capri with a 85 hp force outboard. I'm getting no spark. Can someone point me to a troubleshooting guide for this engine and maybe a wiring diagram? thank you

tommarvin

Ensign
You need a factory service manual,if your going to work on your motor.
You need a spark checker to see if spark will jump one half inch.How many cylinders dont get spark?
Our Force 125 coil did two cylinders and one half can not work,and the other half can work but you need to buy a new coil CDI electronics is a source.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Tom your wrong as usual.
​The only thing you had right was the suggestion for CDI

He said NO spark.
That could be a kill switch? The stator or a few other things??

The 85 Force.
​Any idea what year?
​The 92 Bayliner came with a 90hp.
It has 2different ignition systems??

​Your 85 has the older Prestolite system.
​It has 2 packs. and 3 coils.
​If you lost spark on top 2 cyl then the pack might be suspect.
​Or lost spark on the 3rd cyl then the bottom pack could be bad.

​But no spark on all?? is usually the stator.
outboardignitiondotcom has test procedures.

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Disconnect kill switch first. Then test stator like jerry said. Manual helps. Jerry gave you good advice. He has extensive knowledge on these motors.

Mine turned out to be the kill switch under the dash was wired backwards. If yours has 4 terminals make sure its hooked up right.

You could use multimeter and test the kill switch.

Make sure the switch at the engine is being pressed in. This is to make sure it cant start in gear.

You can disconnect the kill switch at the motor or just pull the wires from the switch under the dash. Pulling the wires accomplishes what the switch does when the lanyard disconnects.

Once kill switch is ruled out then its stator or cdi packs. That website jerry linked will guide you.

Seloc/clymer manual has a procedure but it isnt that great in my brief exprience.

How do you know it doesnt have spark? Are you using a proper spark tester?

Its prob stator, kill circuit, or a bad cd pack. But like jerry said if its a cd pack and everything else is working properly, you at least get spark on 1 cylinder. Theres 2 packs and 3 cylinders. So its doubtful both are fried. Im guessing kill switch or stator. Test these first then post results.