Need help finding correct water pump impeller please!

07Tahoe

Seaman Apprentice
Holy mackerel I just found out about Frank through some searching. Very awkward!!! Sorry for his loss everybody, and now I have his motor from his boat. Doing my best to take care of it.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
07Tahoe, that is pretty awesome! I didn't know Frank (RIP) but I have seen his youtube video's. Smart man, he would have taken care of this outboard.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
UL-18V is the Champion plug.
Or BUHX BUHW
all 3 will work.

FrankA was one of the best Force/Chrysler guys there was. :(

07Tahoe

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks again guys. I had this out on the water again last night and all I could think about was poor Frank.

07Tahoe

Seaman Apprentice
New spark plugs made no difference. Fuel system seems to check out. Resynched the carbs and reset the ignition timing. Carbs are clean. Checked both fuel pumps they look good and clean, Popped the distributor cap off all looked pretty good in there except the spring loaded center button that rides on the rotor seemed like it was stuck down in the hole. Like it has a groove worn into it and it is possibly sticking?? Popped it back out and seems to be ok. reassembled and set the ignition timing per Frank's video instructions. Will test drive again tonight.

ALSO, I had the tach wire from this motor hooked up to the tach in my Tracker dash. It looked like it was reading the correct rpms. However I am wondering if that being hooked up is also making it run crappy so I disconnected that and will see how it runs.

Like I said earlier, starts and idles terrific. Giving it throttle it barely goes until you hammer down full throttle then it takes off but once on plane it surges and cuts in and out like an electrical or timing issue. Hopefully tonight will go good after all this tinkering.

Nordin

Commander
Call Franz at Franz Marine.
I think he has a solution to replace that bellow with a seal.

07Tahoe

Seaman Apprentice
We had a good long talk and went over all the basics. He really knows his stuff. I am still going back and forth with him trying to figure this problem out. I am no mechanical slouch either, I know my stuff too. I have all the carbs cleaned, floats set. ign timing set. Running good just got this wicked rpm surging I am beginning to think it may be ignition related. My next mission is to check the ground wire on the distributor is in good condition and doing it's job. Just saww a video about that here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_F1jh-pr3o

Here is 2 videos of mine here. Let me know your thoughts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdoQIqYrw7c&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfXis9RJVN0&feature=youtu.be

07Tahoe

Seaman Apprentice
Also we determined this is a "Frank"enstein motor. It has a 84 HP motor leg, 140 HP power head, and a Force lower unit, with drilled out exhaust ports above the cavitation plate. Here is every picture and number i have off of it: I'm trying real hard to keep this thing alive:

Attachments

• photo296637.jpg
    photo296637.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • photo296639.jpg
    photo296639.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • photo296640.jpg
    photo296640.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • photo296641.jpg
    photo296641.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • photo296642.jpg
    photo296642.jpg
  • photo296643.jpg
    photo296643.jpg

07Tahoe

Seaman Apprentice
Call Franz at Franz Marine.
I think he has a solution to replace that bellow with a seal.

Franz told me the guy that used to make the retro fit seals for him is not around anymore. You basically have to have something machined up to use a standard type seal. McGuyver it if you will...

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Surging on the hose? or in the water?

Video #1@2 sounds like the idles set way low and the air screws might need to be reset?

Put it back in the water, start it, spray starting fluid around the intake side of the motor.
Make sure you spray around the intake port covers and under the fuel pump.

If it makes any difference, it's sucking air.

The air screws, remove and check the taper.

Those red covers: FrankA .

Surging on the hose? or in the water?

Video #1@2 sounds like the idles set way low and the air screws might need to be reset?

Put it back in the water, start it, spray starting fluid around the intake side of the motor.
Make sure you spray around the intake port covers and under the fuel pump.

If it makes any difference, it's sucking air.

The air screws, remove and check the taper.

Those red covers: FrankA .

I ran it on the hose once and it seemed fine. In the water it surges through the entire rpm range. I will try to take a video of it running up on plane in the higher rpms, it will really stand out.

07Tahoe

Seaman Apprentice
Oh crap, looks like I have 2 accounts and didn't realize it, sorry for the confusion.

07Tahoe

Seaman Apprentice
I found the problem. The wires in the distributor cap were arcing. I had to take it apart and pull some wire through, cut the bad ends off, and set them to the proper 1" protrusion. Put it back together and it purrs like a kitten now.

07Tahoe

Seaman Apprentice
Some updates. Got some stuff from Franz. New copper core ignition wires, and a replacement gear housing cover with the original type seal, retainer and one piece shift rod. Hope to install this weekend.

When I went to test run the motor I had forgotten to plug the coil wire in. So I cranked it and choked it quite a bit before I realized this mistake. I plugged it back into the coil and when I started it there was an extremely loud backfire and it blew the exhaust bellows open. I had a replacement on stand by. I installed it. Went to test run, starts up and runs but still lightly backfires intermittently on cold start up. Once you run it for a minute or 2 it runs fine. I pulled the fuel pumps apart and checked the diaphragms they seem fine and not ripped. The fuel bulb is priming and getting hard.

What else should I look for that could be damaged by a large backfire like that and affect the way this runs? Thanks.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Check spark on all four,
then undo the distributor lugs of and have a look at that,
l have a 1979 70 hp that we fitted a new MSD cd unit to back in feb,
used it a dozen or so times until winter and life got in the way,
would still start it in the yard when able,

Started at home 10 days ago prior to going down to the boat ramp 500yds away,
idled fine for 5 mins at the ramp,
then started to miss and run rough....had a large sneeze then stalled...wouldn't start after that,

took it home...no spark
checked wiring ok
undid dizzy ( preamp type ) rotor came out easily, almost fell out,

Looks like preamp or rotor is the cause, not sure if we will continue with this motor

Very interesting read and videos
and the connection to Frank A