mercury 9.9 recoil starter does not turn shaft

ssn

Recruit
pull and pull but the recoil starter on a mercury 9.9 does not turn the shaft. replaced the bearings, worked for a few pulls but then the same thing. bearings don't seem to be rotating properly to catch shaft during the pull

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Mercury? Or Force?
​Year Model# and serial# is a must??
​A couple of different pull starters???

What bearings?

​Oh yea welcome!!

ssn

Recruit
Gamefisher 9.9 Model 225581997 thought year was 1995 by from Model # must be 1997. sn 08092657 looks almost identical to a 9.9 Force that I have.
One day pulled the starter rope and it just didn't grab, replaced the bearing that grabs the shaft (clutch bearing/one way bearing) when you pull the rope and it supposed to grab the shaft, and when you stop the pull the bearings release from the shaft. Bearing purchased was 42034A2 sized 12x18x26 (on the bearing that was removed it included lettering NSK-TORR FCB-12 an arrow and picture of a lock) The new bearing worked properly for a couple dozen pulls but then nothing. replaced the bearing once again and nothing. Maybe wrong bearing??? not enough/too much lube???

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I can usually only get on here in the early AM.

I still don't understand the "bearing" that you replaced?
​Add a couple of pics?
​You can use a photo sharing site until you get enough posts.
I think it's 3 or 5 posts needed to add pics.

​The operation, you pull the cord and it in turn throws the locks or "starter pulley retainer F681592" into the gear on the top of the flywheel.
That catches and the shaft turns.

If they are over lubed?? they can stick.
Usually no lube is needed.

ssn

Recruit
pics will take a couple days, have someone looking at the motor right now and it is not local. When I look at the parts diagram it is starter design I. I believe this motor distributed by Sears was mfg by Mercury, at least that is my understanding from the 225 leading numbers in the model number. going to try clean up and no lube today