new kill switch

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Received my new kill switch today which only has a red and black wire sticking out of it, Checked the manual wiring diagram and it does not show a kill switch at all, So was wondering which wires to the ignition do I run the kill switch too. Its a 1986 85 force and sure do look forward to any and all help. Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
A 2-cycle OB can run when the ground wire is removed from the magneto. The OB stops when a ground is connected to a ground. You should have 2 M connects on your ignition switch. One goes to ground and the other to the Mag. Connect the kill switch between ground and the M connector going to the magneto.

OutboardIgnitionSwitch.jpg

Johnson Evinrude wiring.jpg

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hooked up kill switch to both Magnetos or the Ms on the ignition switch. First it blew the breaker and it took the kill switch off now and my ignition will start the motor but it wont shut it off. Were did I go wrong or how do I make my engine shut off with the key again. Thanks for your help. Pete J

alldodge

Staff member
Hooked up kill switch to both Magnetos or the Ms

That should have worked, but blowing a breaker means something else was either touching the Red/Purple (Battery) wire or connection. Since it will not shut off now then the connection to the "Ignition kill" wire/circuit was damaged or the key switch was damaged.

Disconnect the battery and or cable feeding the control and key. Use an ohm meter and check for continuity between ground and both M terminals when the key is in the OFF position. Make sure the Black/Yellow wire is connected to one of the terminals and has connection to the magneto

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Im sure i jacked it up and Im pretty sure its my ignition switch now. Will check the with the ohm meter though. If it is my ignition switch Im bummed cause I bought it at walmart and it went up 16 bucks since I bought it less than a year ago. Again thanks for the info

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I wont get my new ignition until monday so I was wondering is there another way to shut off motor? was hoping to go out on friday

alldodge

Staff member
Yes, you need to ground the ignition wire. You should have a solid black wire on one of the M terminals, this is ground. The other M terminal should be the ignition wire. The image above it shows a Black/Yellow wire.

Don't know if yours is Blk/Yel or not, but what ever the wire color is, this wire gets grounded to shut the motor down. When it's not grounded the motor can be started

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
mines just a yellow and I think the other m wire is blue not black. Now I hope I didnt stick the wrong wires on the wrong terminal. going to have to make sure I was on both Ms now on the ignition switch. Thanks again

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My black that runs from the motors wiring harness actually grounds to a ground bar. Both of the m terminals have light blue and white and I just figured Ms are Ms and hooked it up like the diagram so its my fault on wrecking my ignition but I already new that. My ignition worked great before I tried to hook up kill switch so I just need to figure out which wires are which so I dont wreck my new ignition. Maybe the brand new kill switch be headed to the trash :)

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Found this in another thread. If you zoom in you can read the wires. It does have a stop switch shown, but a motor with a stop button may not be using a key switch, even thou the contacts are showing.

fetch

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mines an 86 and the manual shows every thing the same but no kill switch. Maybe its just not ment to be? and as for choking it out I only have a choke that works by the keys but Im going to try tomorrow if not its vise grips to the fuel line and again Thanks for all help:)

alldodge

Staff member
We need someone like the late Frank A, he knew these inside and out. I would get the thing running then find out which wire is supplying the ground. Once you know that you know how to kill it. I'm thinking its the white wire going to module 1 and 2

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Soon to find out I hope. hate to blow another ignition switch but it starts and runs great but it just wont shut off. Vice grips are my shut off tomorrow

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, you need to ground the ignition wire. You should have a solid black wire on one of the M terminals, this is ground. The other M terminal should be the ignition wire. The image above it shows a Black/Yellow wire.

Don't know if yours is Blk/Yel or not, but what ever the wire color is, this wire gets grounded to shut the motor down. When it's not grounded the motor can be started
I believe you are right on that because I hooked it up from one m and to what I thought was the other m which was yellow. The other m is a white wire and Id put money on it I crossed something wrong which in turn blew the breaker and ignition. I think if I do both Ms which is white and blue it will work like a champ

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Id say it will I just messed up and put one of the wrong wires in the wrong spot and I do thank you for your help and thanks blacd cause choking it out worked great:)

Nordin

Commander
Pete j does your 85Hp have Prestolite CDI ignition?

If, then the blue will go from keyswitch M terminal to ground at engineterminal.
White will go from the other M terminal at key through engine terminal then to each one of the two switchboxes.

Check at Mastertech they have wiring diagrams under technical specifications then choose Chrysler 125Hp Prestolite.
Only different are it use both channel in number 2 switchbox and trigger wires because the 125Hp is a 4 cyl.

Keyswitch are the same.

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nordin. Yes it is a prestolite cdi ignition and are you saying just to run it to both the M terminals? Thats what I was suppose to do the first time and I got confused and stuck one wire to terminal that was not a M. Just got new ignition today but wont put it in till tomorrow