Power Tilt Drama

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 115 chryslers tilt is not trimming all the way down it stops at number two hole wont go any further, tried slamming it down, the shock on port side is leaking, something is stopping it short of where it should stop, any ideas?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You have all the old parts for the old system removed?
​Pics of the area, tilted up and down.

A customer of mine had the same problem.
His T@T was hitting the top of the transom keeping the motor in a permanent tilted position.

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had that happen on a leaking shock on a yamaha motor and it turned out the shock was sucking in water and it would not go down all the way. The shock had a pressure relief that you could open up and shock would go down all the way. When I would open the valve water would shoot out ended up removing shock. Hope that helps a bit

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
More dramas i started removing the whole system as u pretty much need to to get the shock out got to the big bottom bolt and its stuck tight , now im thinking someones had an attempt at this before the nut on port side of lower pin was split completely through one side and the thread is burred, the trim motor was disassembled several nuts half off perhaps the stuck lower pin turned them off, any clues?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I have a shock that might fit??
​Take a pic of the shock with a ruler in the pic.

​If it's the same?? You can have it for postage.

​These motors were put together without consideration for repairs in the future.
Did-similar metals corrode and cause problems.

​I've had to use an acetylene torch to get um unstuck.

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Jerry ive been lightly clonking away all day with a hammer squirting everything with WD-40 dont want to really belt it as everythings alloy, i used a block off wood and hit it rather then the bolt itself im assuming this bolt is stainless, im going to try a plumbers map gas torch on it real gently and clonk it some more hopefully will shift it, tell ya what when it gets reassembled Im going to give it a thorough dose molybdenum disulphide grease bugger will never stick again, why they didnt fit grease nipples to this shaft is beyond me or do sonething really silly like fit a nylon sleeve into the alloy trim unit and the shock and tilt rams, would have solved a million problems, i just gave myself an idea haha.

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ill take a pic of the shock tomozz, ive seen pics of the later force shocks theyre all the same