Force 50hp - electric choke

Tuni

Seaman Apprentice
I'm trying to figure out if my choke/solenoid is working or not before spending the big bucks on a new one. I have a Force 50hp 1993 1 carb and removed the choke completely. I put 12 volts to the black/yellow wire (the other grounded) and I can hear it 'click' each time I touch the wire. When I leave it on the wire nothing 'clicks', but when I just touch the wire it does 'click'. Is that normal? I guess I don't understand how this thing works. Also, is there a way to test the diaphragm before I put it back?

Tuni

Seaman Apprentice
Ooooops....one other maybe critical comment. The button on top of the choke doesn't move when I tap the wire with 12 volts. Don't know if that is good or bad. I can push it down manually and it pops back up.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
That sounds like a primer and not a choke.
The primer as well as the choke can make a clicking sound and still not operate.

​The primer, the hose to the bottom of the carb should shoot fuel when the key's activated.

​The button I believe is a manual choke.
​Press the button and it's supposed to shoot a bit of fuel.

​The old style choke when activated closed off the air going to the carb and the draw from the motor as it turns
brings extra fuel into the throat of the carb.
Thus enriching the air/fuel mix and facilitating the easier start.