1999 40hp force wot issues

Marshrunner_35

Recruit
A little engine history... I got the engine on trade and was told it ran perfect well it did run but far from perfect. First he hard wired the choke to the ignition and it stayed choked all the time 2nd the carb was clogged up 3rd plugs were bad 4th fuel pump was bad 5th throttle and idle weren't adjusted properly engine wouldn't get to true wot and idle crazy high. Well I have since repaired and remedied all issues listed above now I have a mis or surge at wot that feels like the engine is holding back and has more to go almost like the air fuel is off but I'm no mechanic. I also noticed it used a lot of fuel and I always had fuel standing in the bottom cowling I found a broken hose that went from the bottom of the power head up and around to the fuel pump it looks like. I thought that would fix it thinking there was air in the line but that didn't work but it did solve the standing fuel in the cowling. What could this possibly be? Where do I start? Please remember I know nothing about outboards will need help with each test possibly but I learn fast. Thanks in advance.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Post some pics of the hose you hooked from the bottom to the carb.
You'll need to use a photo sharing site, something like
​Shutterfly or photoshop.
​They won't let you post pics here until you have 3 posts(or is it 5??)

​Fuel usage: what boat, size, weight, prop size, rpm's at top speed?

​The surging: could be a bad stator, loose wire, fuel delivery, water in the fuel.

​Starting fluid. Start motor and spray SF around the base of the intake and the stbd. side of the motor.
If it makes the motor surge, cough, or run better?? then it's sucking air.
​The fuel hose connections, they have rubber in them and the fuel we use can eat the rubber and cause air leaks.
Try running without them in the system.