1975 Chrysler 35 hp 357he

Sparks Jr

Cadet
Okay where is the air fuel screw located and I'm sure it is back firing I'll pull on it a few times and I'll get a Big Bang and some smoke out the exhaust I haven't had a chance to regap so I'm hoping that helps

Nordin

Commander
Sounds like a back fire.
Air/fuel mixture screw is at "12 a clock" when you look in to the carb throat.
Also check the fuel diaphragm.

Are you sure you do not have the HT wires to the plugs mixed?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Get a spark tester.
Make sure it's getting spark.
Then swap the wires and see if it still backfires.

​Check for TDC look at the first posts in this forum.

Nordin

Commander
Just follow the primeside wire from the points thats goes to the number 1 ignition coil.
Or turn the crank and check with a screw driver in top plug hole.
When piston reach TDC (top dead center) check which points starts to open or is open.

Sparks Jr

Cadet
Okay I got it to fire a run for maybe 5 sec doesn't backfire as much when I'm trying to start it now but it still does every few pulls I did notice my coils getting hot again tho and couldn't get it to start again and when I find tdc it doesn't seem like points are on highest point of lobe should it be that way?

Nordin

Commander
No, in idle or lowest possible throttle/spark advance the number 1 points should start to open at or just at TDC.
On your engine the spark advance is fixed so you can not adjust it. The only thing you can adjust is the points gap and you adjust it at the highest point of the lobe.
It does not matter where the throttle is.

Sparks Jr

Cadet
There is a linkage to adjust going to throttle and shift arm I finally got it to run just haven?t got to run in long enough to see what it will do need to get it in a barrel first next question is does anyone have any tips on getting the steering cable to free up it seems to be rusted stuck

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The backfire could be the air screw on the carb.
Set it at 1 1/2 -2 turns out and adjust from there.

The steering usually gets stuck in the steering tube.
A bit of PB Blaster and a propane torch on the tube.

​Do NOT use a hammer on the end of the cable.

​Spray PB blaster and heat the tube as you have someone turn the wheel.
Too much pressure on the wheel can cause problems.
Have someone push the motor as the other turns the wheel.
Heat and spray and push/pull.

Nordin

Commander
More pics of the power head would maybe help.
As you says the timing plate can be adjusted, your engine is from the old 35, 45, 55Hp family.

1975 or 1976 Chrysler came with a 35Hp which was from the 25, 30Hp family and at those engines the timing was fixed.
BUT I have never seen a 35Hp from the old family with battery ignition.
They always had magneto from the late 60.es and up.

wickware

Lieutenant
Did or will the previous owner share some past history on the engine and the possible problems? If so, what did he share?

Sparks Jr

Cadet
I got it to run finally stupid me procrastinated on spark plugs bought two of them and sure enough got it to run for about 10 seconds too then shut it off need to put it in a barrel and now I?ll sure I?ll have to fine tune it after messing with so much stuff and the previous owner is no longer with us I bought it at his estate sale he was a small engine mechanic for many years so I knew it couldn?t of taken much and is why I bought it well and it was 25 dollars for boat trailer and motor so now hopefully next spring I?ll be fishing with it hopefully I?ll get it tuned and running correctly just to cold now to put it in water but yes there is and adjustment on timing and has the battery ignition on this old 35hp

wickware

Lieutenant
See a pic of my barrel and Tell Tale that shows good cooling water vs the spit of cooling water that exit in the exhaust. My 1970 35 HP was magneto Ignition vs Battery (internal coils) and was very friendly trouble shooting. ?Search Wickware on the board? and you will see many of my experiences since 1984. The ?Tell Tale? showing good water flow ?deep in a Barrel? allowed ?Plenty Testing In The Yard? before final test on the Water?.

Good Luck And Have Fun!