1975 Chrysler 35 hp 357he

Sparks Jr

Cadet
I just bought this boat real cheap cleaned all the points good got it to spark finally replaced the fuel hose and cleaned carb starter is bad so I have been pulling on this thing and it wants to run but won't and will backfire everyone once in awhile any suggestions as I am new to these motors thanks

Chryslerman123

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Check the primer bulb to be sure it is working properly.
Check the fuel pump screen for blockages.

Check for correct point gap setting.

Check idle adjustment screw setting.

New spark plugs won't hurt either if you didn't replace them already.

Sparks Jr

Cadet
Primer ball is firm screen is clean point gap is at .020 not sure on idle screw or which one that is new to outboard motors and yes next on list is new plugs

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Plugs wires on wrong?
Too much fuel in the cylinders?

​Try a shot of starting fluid.
​Not a lot, just a quick burst.
Too much can cause problems.

​Clean the starter, way easier to start when it can continue to turn over instead of 2-3 turns with the cord.

Sparks Jr

Cadet
Starter needs rebuilt haven't wanted to put a lot of money into it until I know it runs and I have it a shot of carb cleaner and it seemed to try to run more then not sure what to do next plug wires are on right changed could to

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If the compression is good? and the lower isn't full of water??
​Then you can make it run.

​Doing a comp test with the pull cord is a bit harder to do but can be done.

The results probably won't be as high as if the starter worked.
​But if both are close?? then continue.

Sparks Jr

Cadet
Both have good compression 110psi is what I got on my guage which isn't the best have good spark I think I need new points but cannot find them can any one give me a part number or an idea of where I could order them

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Sparks Jr. Look up Franz Marine on the internet. Give him a call. You might have to call him several times. He will have your parts and he ships fast.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Also make sure to give him the model number of your outboard.

Nordin

Commander
The points are N/A and Franz might have some. BUT they are expensive. He had one kit with points and condensers.
I bought condensers to one of my 25Hp (same points and condensers as your 35Hp) from him a couple of months ago, BUT not points because they were to much money for me.

I resused my points, cleaned them up and gaped to 020.
Runs like a champ now.

Last edited:

Sparks Jr

Cadet
Yeah they are crazy priced I have good spark just can't get it to run yet just didn't know if there was a different part number or different style of points I could use

wickware

Lieutenant
No Title

Fire, Fuel and Compression and it should run.
  1. Fire, you mentioned .20 gap but did you clean the points. Any contamination can stop or affect fire. An ohm meter can verify good contact.
  2. Flywheel key damages can affect spark. Know it?s not damaged and torque to spec. 45 ft lbs is what my Clymer is showing for your year but that seems low. Get verification on the torque. A backfire indicate fire but out of time which means the key could be bad or points not set with cam lobe in the correct highest position (which a mark might indicate). I?ll try to post a close sharp pic and suggest you post a good pic also that might help.
  3. Fuel is normally a light seat in and out 1- 1-1/4 and tune as needed from there. I recommend a cleat in-line filter between fuel pump and carb to verity fuel is present. The glass bowl on the fuel pump should help verify the fresh 50/1 fuel is not contaminated (due to dirty tank issues).
  4. Compression is usually above 100 lbs (hopefully more). Turn slow by hand to know your gauge is not too deep to make contact with your piston. It needs a good spin to get a true reading.
  5. As Jerry mentioned, the starter should be simple to rebuild or have rebuilt. It will give you a better spin in your effort to star. My 1970 would pull start with no effort once it was up and running good but used too many 12 volt lights fishing on my one battery.
  6. I have every demo pic you can imagine on my1970 35 HP Chrysler from 1984 -2014 activ use and repairs..
  7. Jerry, Nordin and others will have you covered and I might have some actual pics related..
  8. I?ll have a reason to check the Board now.
Take Care & Good Luck!

Attachments

• photo53771.jpg
    photo53771.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Check the flywheel key.
If it sheared? you can have spark but the timing will be so far out it won't start.

Sparks Jr

Cadet
Thanks for the info guys I haven't been able to get back to it lately I'm hoping this weekend I'll keep you all posted

Sparks Jr

Cadet
Won't let me upload a pic says it's to big I've cleaned and reset points I'm finding tdc and it seems that I'm at highest point on lobe there still all I get is back fire working on finding starter parts can't seem to find a kit I did notice my coils getting warm is that a problem I really want to get this running but getting frustrated lol

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Back fire: too much fuel(diaphragm,float) flywheel key, reeds, wires switched, sucking air(bad gaskets).
​to add pics, resize them before loading or use something like Shutterfly.

Nordin

Commander
As jerry says, many things that can cause back fire.
BUT you says the coils get warm. They should not, BUT what kind of ignition system do you have.
Those 35Hp came with magneto ignition and battery ignition.

Are the coils outside the flywheel mounted on the top of the head?
If they are you have battery ignition and they should be set to 015 not 020 as the magneto typ.
Look if there is cracks in the coils, they can be bad.

Sparks Jr

Cadet
Coils are mounted on the left side of the motor standing behind it yes they have little cracks on them and I have the points gaped at .020 so maybe that's a big problem then I believe it's the battery type ignition so I'll regap points when I get a chance and try to find a couple new coils

Nordin

Commander
The coils are very expensive, about 185 dollars, soo regap the points to 015 and try again before looking for new coils.
Are you sure it is back firing ? Or is it sneezing.

Check the setting of the air/fuel mixture screw. It should be 1-1,5 turn out from lightly seated.
The engine will sneeze if the carb is set to lean and it sometimes sounds like a back fire.