lower unit driveshaft seal

Chryslerman123

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a chrysler 20hp and a 9.9hp. The lower unit driveshaft seal is leaky on both of them. They both have the same seal. I would like to replace the seal without buying the whole seal kit. I need the sierra part number for the seal if they offer it individually. The outside diameter is 1 inch and the driveshaft is 1/2 inch. It is 1/4 inch thick. The water pump housing seal is the same seal if that helps.
Thanks.

Nordin

Commander
Sierra do not offer only the seal.
Try Franze Marine or measure the in/out diameter and the thinkness, go to a machineshop and they will find it for you.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Need a year or model# for either or both?

1980 9.9 driveshaft seal: F901307-2
Or F458307 for the 20 hp. 1980

2 different part numbers so they might not be the same????

​boatsdotnet has parts diagrams figure out what you need?

Chryslerman123

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Need a year or model# for either or both?

1980 9.9 driveshaft seal: F901307-2
Or F458307 for the 20 hp. 1980

2 different part numbers so they might not be the same????

​boatsdotnet has parts diagrams figure out what you need?

The 20hp is a 1971. Model 203HB

The 9.9 is a 1979. Model 92H9F

I know that the seal is identical in them both

Nordin

Commander
The late 20Hp was a downrated 25Hp and it had the 30-35Hp from mid 70.es gearhousing. It is lager with a 2:1 ratio and able to fit a 10 3/8 diameter prop.
Chryslerman you are right your 20Hp and 9.9Hp has the same driveshaft seal. Early 20Hp had a different LU then the late. They changed it in mid 70.es when they downrated the engines because of prop rating instead of crank rating.

Do as I said before, try Franz at Franz Marine or go to a machineshop with your measured dimensions and they will help you.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
9.9 hp 1979 F901307-2 says you need 2 of them?
They sell some parts here but I don't think they'd have this???
​I can't find a parts diagram for the 20 as most places don't list anything past 74???

E-bay has the seals.
​Just put the highlighted part # there and 3 different ones pop up.

Chryslerman123

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The late 20Hp was a downrated 25Hp and it had the 30-35Hp from mid 70.es gearhousing. It is lager with a 2:1 ratio and able to fit a 10 3/8 diameter prop.
Chryslerman you are right your 20Hp and 9.9Hp has the same driveshaft seal. Early 20Hp had a different LU then the late. They changed it in mid 70.es when they downrated the engines because of prop rating instead of crank rating.

Do as I said before, try Franz at Franz Marine or go to a machineshop with your measured dimensions and they will help you.

Good info to know, thank you very much!
I also researched jerryjerry05 's part number F901307-2 and from what I can find apparently sierra marine offers the seal individually because when I researched that chrysler part number I came across sierra marine # 18-0593 which should be the same seal?

Chryslerman123

Petty Officer 3rd Class
9.9 hp 1979 F901307-2 says you need 2 of them?
They sell some parts here but I don't think they'd have this???
​I can't find a parts diagram for the 20 as most places don't list anything past 74???

E-bay has the seals.
​Just put the highlighted part # there and 3 different ones pop up.

The 9.9 only needs one of those seals. The only reason I see for needing two is for the water pump housing which has the exact same seal. I also went ahead and ordered the lower unit seal kit for the 9.9. Apparently the lower unit seal kit for the 20hp says it fits 1972-78 but mine is a 1971.
Sierra 18-2638 is for the 9.9 but in the picture it looks like it has two of the driveshaft seals and the prop shaft seal. The driveshaft seals. Look identical in the picture. I don't need the pump housing seal so theoretically i would have an extra seal from the seal kit for the 9.9 that I could use for the 20hp? Im just guessing that the second seal is for the water pump housing?

I'm sorry if this is confusing but I really appreciate the help!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Do you have it apart already?
Sometimes there are 2 seals on the shaft???
It didn't show the seal as a double in the parts diagram.

Chryslerman123

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Do you have it apart already?
Sometimes there are 2 seals on the shaft???
It didn't show the seal as a double in the parts diagram.

There is only one seal for the driveshaft on the lower unit. I have not taken it apart yet but I have had it off before to look at it.
I drained the 9.9 lower unit a week ago and it was about half water/half oil.
The 20hp was pure water.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
After it's back together??? do a pressure test.

ANY grooves on the drive shaft or prop shaft?

Chryslerman123

Petty Officer 3rd Class
After it's back together??? do a pressure test.

ANY grooves on the drive shaft or prop shaft?

No grooves on the 20hp. About three weeks ago I discovered that the prop shaft seal was leaking terrible. It was just worn out. I put a new prop shaft seal in it and filled it. I drained it last week to check and it was water again. I pressure tested it and only the drive shaft seal leaks now. The air went out as fast as i put it in. It will hold vacuum though.

I Have never completely disassembled the 9.9 lower unit but i figured i should put the whole seal kit in it because I need one outboard that i can run in freezing weather without having to worry about the gearcase freezing and busting. I doubt the shafts have grooves but i will find out when I disassemble it.

I will pressure and vacuum test them both after i put the seals in them.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
IF??? there are grooves???
​I get some fiberglass resin or Marine Tex and fill the groove.
After it hardens, I sand it smooth and it usually stops the leaks.
The shaft needs to be roughed up for the fiberglass to stick.